Windows XP SP3 slipstreaming wrap-up

BikinDutchman

Helllo all,

This is slightly off topic but since there has been so much discussion about this I thought it good to summarize; explanation is between ().

This is what I do for a regular Windows XP SP3 Professional integration starting from an RTM source (in folder WinXP_SP3):

-After copying the root contents of a WinXP CD into WinXP_SP3, remove the Read-only attributes from all files in that folder.

-Download "Windows XP Service Pack 3", extract (in folder SP3) and slipstream by executing: SP3/i386/update/update.exe /Integrate:WinXP_SP3.

-In the slipstreamed folder:

--Delete cmpnents\TABLETPC, and move *.htm moved into DOCS. (I did not look into tablet installations).

--Delete i386\GUITRN_A.DL_, MIGISM_A.DL_, MIGWIZ_A.EX_, MMC.CH_, MSRDP.CA_,MSTSC.CH_, MSTSC.EX_, MSTSCAX.DL_, RDSKTPW.CH_, SCRIPT_A.DL_,SYSMOD_A.DL_, TSCUPGRD.EX_, XPTHT41W.HT_ (the old RDP client).

---remove the msrdp.cab line in DOSNET.inf (to avoid an error message during install).

--Delete i386\USETUP.exe; copy i386\System32\SMSS.exe one level up, and rename it to USETUP.exe (to have an up to date GUI steup for all types of install: CD, WinNT, WinNT32).

-Download "Windows XP Service Pack 3 Deployment Tools" to update WinXP_SP3\SUPPORT\TOOLS\Deploy.cab (used to make SP3 unattended and sysprep installations).

-Download "Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools", and extract them in WinXP_SP3\SUPPORT\TOOLS, updating all other tools (less and less usefull utilities but for the sake of completeness...).

The steps of removing read-onlly and slip-streaming can be carried out with nLite :thumbup .

In case you do not have an RTM CD, you may encounter interesting combinations, discussed here.

-You can delete the WIN51IP.SP1 and/or WIN51IP.SP2 files in the root.

Google is your friend for the downloads. I am not sure what can be/has been incorporated in the nLite slipstreaming.

Comments welcome as always; I will update the above as needed.

Edited by BikinDutchman

Could you please explain WHY this is necessary and what it does? That would be nice to know for us, that aren't quite as much into doing customized installs. So far just slipstreaming the normal way has worked out fine for me. Thanks.

Could you please explain WHY this is necessary and what it does?

sittingduck, here we go:

Read-only: some (less important files do not get overwritten)

-Delete i386\GUITRN_A.DL_ etc: This is the old Remote Desktop Client, no need to keep it.

-Delete i386\USETUP.exe: this version is not updated, causes problems with WinNT and WinNT32 installs

-Deploy.cab: needed to prepare unattended/sysprep install, is not automatically updated by service packs

-Support Tools: see README.html, is not automatically updated by service packs

Not all that important but if you do it once why not do it right?

Could you explain the process a bit more? I am lost. You do this with the source data (non SP3) before you slipstream SP3 into it?

What are you copying where?

On a side not, what does RTM mean?

Hm, yeah, if only there was a way to get source with no SP at all nowadays :) I use corporate version from our company and the only source we got is SP1.

Edit: I assume it's not possible to grab english version and somehow turn it into another language? I'd give this a shot just for the hell of it, but there sure as hell is no SP0 czech corporate version cd floating around. Note: I have legal cdkey.

Edited by Octopuss

All, it is important to distinguish between RTM, SP1, SP2 CDs as they are sold (retail), AND CDs that are made by slipstreaming the content of previous CDs

That leads to a number of interesting combinations, depending on what retail CD you have.

My guide is for:

-Retail CD RTM -> SP3

Which means that I start with the contents of a retail CD RTM (the first official release) copy that to a folder, and then slipstream SP3.

Other combinations are, assuming you have one retail CD :

-Retail CD SP1 -> SP3

-Retail CD SP2 -> SP3

If you lost the retail CD you may come across:

-Retail CD RTM -> SP1 -> SP3

-Retail CD RTM -> SP2 -> SP3

-Retail CD RTM -> SP1 -> SP2 -> SP3

-Retail CD SP1 -> SP2 -> SP3

I believe I have them all now :boring:

Believe me. I did not try them all but if you follow the guide you will likely end up with the same result.

Edited by BikinDutchman

Are you telling me that retail CDs with some kind of SP in them are not made the same way as integrating the way we regular lusers know/use? Ie the files you talk about are patched (to some point)?

So if we have SP1 retail CD at work, I can as well use that with same results?

Are you telling me that retail CDs with some kind of SP in them are not made the same way as integrating the way we regular lusers know/use? Ie the files you talk about are patched (to some point)?

So if we have SP1 retail CD at work, I can as well use that with same results?

Octopuss, I do not know all contents of retail CDs but I guess they do noy have the small glitches that we see with slipstreamed CDs. I hope that my guide leads to something very close to the eventual retail CD SP3.

-After copying the root contents of a WinXP CD into WinXP_SP3, remove the Read-only attributes from all files in that folder

nLite does this automatically.

and slipstream by executing: SP3/i386/update/update.exe /Integrate:WinXP_SP3

nLite does this automatically.

Cheers ;)

Helllo all,

This is slightly off-topic but since there has been so much discussion about this I thought it good to summarize.

This is what I do for a regular Windows XP SP3 Professional integration starting from an RTM source (in folder WinXP_SP3):

-After copying the root contents of a WinXP CD into WinXP_SP3, remove the Read-only attributes from all files in that folder

-Download "Windows XP Service Pack 3", extract (in folder SP3) and slipstream by executing: SP3/i386/update/update.exe /Integrate:WinXP_SP3

-In the slipstreamed folder:

--Delete cmpnents\TABLETPC, and move *.htm moved in DOCS. (I did not look into tablet installations).

--Delete i386\GUITRN_A.DL_, MIGISM_A.DL_, MIGWIZ_A.EX_, MMC.CH_ MSRDP.CA_,MSTSC.CH_, MSTSC.EX_, MSTSCAX.DL_, RDSKTPW.CH_, SCRIPT_A.DL_,SYSMOD_A.DL_, TSCUPGRD.EX_, XPTHT41W.HT_

---remove the msrdp.cab line in DOSNET.inf.

--Delete i386\USETUP.exe; copy i386\System32\SMSS.exe one level up, and rename it to USETUP.exe.

-Download "Windows XP Service Pack 3 Deployment Tools" to update WinXP_SP3\SUPPORT\TOOLS\Deploy.cab.

-Download "Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools", and extract them in WinXP_SP3\SUPPORT\TOOLS, updating all other tools.

Google is your friend for the downloads. I am not sure what can be/has been incorporated in the nLite slipstreaming.

Comments welcome as always; I will update the above as needed.

This is a decent idea, however I need just a bit more information on it than was replied to. Your explanation here:

-Delete i386\GUITRN_A.DL_ etc: This is the old Remote Desktop Client, no need to keep it.

-Delete i386\USETUP.exe: this version is not updated, causes problems with WinNT and WinNT32 installs

describes *some* of the options, but what does removing the *other* files do (which options are obsolete or removed)?

--Delete i386\MIGISM_A.DL_, MIGWIZ_A.EX_, MMC.CH_ MSRDP.CA_,MSTSC.CH_, MSTSC.EX_, MSTSCAX.DL_, RDSKTPW.CH_, SCRIPT_A.DL_,SYSMOD_A.DL_, TSCUPGRD.EX_, XPTHT41W.HT_

---remove the msrdp.cab line in DOSNET.inf.

Edited by crashfly