Can't make bootable DVD with nLite

tjwasiak

I tried to make a clean Vista installation from DVD I made with 1.1.6 Final vLite - nothing removed, just SP1 and post-SP1 hotfixes included and it turned that disc is not bootable! It is 32 bit Polish Vista Business. It was burned from vLite on good media using double speed recording. Disc is readable, everything seems to be ok, so I tried to look at it using ISOBuster. ISOBuster shows that it is in fact bootable DVD, but when I looked closer at bootsector (located at LBA 282) it was filled with 00 bytes. What had I done wrong? Is it any way to make vLite use my provided bootsector (I can rip it off original pre-SP1 Vista DVD using ISOBuster)?

EDIT: I forgot to say, that on vLited DVD Bootable Disc contains only BootCatalog.cat (2048 bytes, all 0x00h). On my OEM disc there are two files BootCatalog.cat (2048 bytes, with Microsoft Corporation string in the beginning followed by 0x00h bytes) and Microsoft Corporation.img (2048 bytes).

Edited by tjwasiak

I figured out there is a problem with burning from vLite. Today I burned image made with vLite with Nero 8 and the disc is bootable. I don't know what's the issue, maybe it is something connected to using vLite on Polish Vista or working on Polish Vista... I will try 1.2 beta this week and report if anything changed.

I had the same problem.

I've solved using the free software ImageBurn v. 2.4.1.0 to burn the DVD from the disk image obtained with vLite.

There is not a clear procedure. On page http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtop...amp;#entry66439

is a tutorial describing the procedure to be used to burn a DVD from the image file.

If you have problems or questions, leaving a new post; you respond in the shortest possible time.

Good luck.

New experiences:

1. The bootable disk obtained by ImgBurn, does not start in a VMware virtual machine, but the image file produced directly by vLite, starts perfectly.

2. In my real machine, however, the bootable disk produced by ImgBurn, boots without problems.

Hardware or BIOS problem?

Pentium 4, 3 Ghz . HyperThreading.

4 Gb SDRAM

Phoenix AwardBIOS v6.00PG 07/14/05

(...)Pentium 4, 3 Ghz . HyperThreading.

4 Gb SDRAM

Phoenix AwardBIOS v6.00PG 07/14/05

Funny thing. I was also preparing Vista DVD on Pentium IV with Hyper Threading... I did not have much time, so no more tries :( Maybe it is in fact an hardware/software/driver issue??? I tried the DVD in 6 other machines - it was not working...