Computer Associates Antivirus

So I am in the process of rebuilding my system and call up a retailer with an inquiry on a product, the sales associate then proceeds to try and hawk an AV by Computer Associates. Never heard of it, anyone have any experience with this companies products? Seems like they have a history and a quick search of the net doesn't really produce anything. Looks as though they doctored up their entry on Wikipedia. Probably a company to stay away from or not even bother worrying about but I am just curious now that it has been brought up.

Edited by robd

I've tried CA's antivirus at work and lets just say it's better than nothin at all I guess. If they throw it into the deal for free, I take it and go on. If you have to purchase it then I'd forget, there are much better ones on the market. I personally use AVG 8.0 and Anti-vir, both are free to home users, work great, and doesn't conflict with each other.

Thanks for the replies.

Nuff said then. BTW, the sales associates from Tiger Direct and Comp USA are the ones pushing CA.

Personally, I have NOD32 on my PC and also recommend Kaspersky. For a friend whose system I recovered, avast! is what I installed. AVG's integration into the web browser annoys me.

Edited by robd

• 2 weeks later...

My first real experience with E-Trust, the CA AV, was from 2 years ago when I started at my company. CA released a definition update that deleted the lsas off of all of our servers. Whole day down the drain plus most of a weekend fixing the issue. Did I mention it was Labor Day weekend? Anyhow they never admitted doing wrong but they gave us a bunch of "instore" credit to spend on their other products. Now we're on Sophos which supposedly has UNIX support but by support they mean a guy will answer the phone and talk to you. Not a big fan occasionally Sophos will eat 90+% of the CPU time and the rest of the time its blocking legit programs from functioning because they changed their categories for the umpteenth time. Anyhow I'll stop ranting now, I personally use Kaspersky, and AVG. Starting to look at NOD32 now though.