Clone easily Windows 98 and XP in the same computer.

10 hours ago, Destro said:

This is an interesting read but seems way more complicated than what normally is just dual booting 98 and XP. In the end thats all we are doing here folks but under the guise that it's much more than that when it isn't.   To me if you are really worried about data loss you run RAID so when a hardware failure occurs you don't lose your data.  This dual boot thing does nothing to protect vs that. 

It's nice to be able to boot into another OS to fix another but we can do that with another XP. 2k, 98 linux.  We can boot with recovery CDs like bart PE.  We can just use Symantec Ghost and store .gho backups on another partition.  We are just dual booting 98 and XP here, only we are not even using 98 because its crippled with no drivers.  What if what we need to fix said XP machineand the fiels we need is on the internet. We know 98 browser support is terrible and there is no mention of even having network support on the 98 OS.Ya it's not as great when u think about it.

Maybe in 2008 (i.e. when Cannie started this thread/guide) the situation of the internet was a bit different from today and I would also dare:w00t::ph34r: to hint that maybe, just maybe, 9 years ago you were a little less knowledgeable and possibly your comment here would have been a little less condescending than today. :whistle:

jaclaz

I really should resist the urge to respond to this.  But 9 years ago I was 29 and that is way past the prime of most of the methods I was pointing out.   things like Ghost were standards back then.  People had already started shifting to windows 7 at the time.   I was working for a federal credit union at the time supporting over thousands of employees.  I used to remote control PCs on the other side of the planet and restore back ups from 100s of 1000s of miles away.  We were using PXE boot to boot to ghost recovery servers and windows installation services then.  We never stored user data on the computers, all user data was stored on network drives on a NAS which were raid volumes that were mapped.  so ya when you don't store your data on a workstation it's also better anyways.  I have no idea what you are talking about.  Even back in 2005 or so way before this thread things like BART PE or windows preinstallation environment were a thing.  I was making bart PE disks back then and there were things like dream pack and winternals admin pack that were reseting passwords on XP computers.  I used to have to use those CDs from time to time when I worked at at a government contracter to reset peoples windows passwords and fix registry and viruses.  No offense but even dual booting operating systems before 2005 was a thing.  Programs like  Partician Magic did things like this for you and added custom bootloaders.  There were free programs like XOSL that could do it too.  windows 2k came with dual bootloaders out of the box and Linus already had Grub.

Edited by Destro

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

[late edit] Sorry, read the topic and I now see it is not just about doing backups, it is doing backups with XP, this solution does not fit, you may delete it[/late edit]

Don't know if anyone posted about this solution (too many pages to read)

I myself is using Windows7x32, as the backup machine (in dual boot with W98). reference on that here

As I have a bunch of W7 and XP licenses and XP is utterly outdated (as well). And I more or less has left W7 behind (I only have one computer left that actively use it).
I figured I could use W7 as the main OS to do the backups.

However, testing a vanilla Windows 7 on my W98 hardware was like swiming in tar, it worked, but it did not felt that fast and responsive.
The problem is (was) that it needed to be lightweight, I searched the net for a solution and found out of Tiny7 (no links given).

So after reinstalling and install all drivers, I had no access to shared folders of my LAN, I could se computers but not connect to them, that was a problem, as I figured I would like to store my backups on some other storage media accessible inside my LAN...

The solution was to enable the Services that were disabled

1. TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
  2. Security Accounts Manager
  3. Server Workstation
  4. Computer Browser
  5. Print Spooler (this is optional, not neccessary if you don't plan to use a printer)

Now that I got full access to my LAN I needed some kind of application to do the backups. After some research I selected DriveImageXL, it can save backups to a network location and it is available for free (for personal use)...

My W98C:>  partition is ~20 GB and creating a backup is quickly done, however it is not automated.

Edited by Azvareth
not suitable here