Clone easily Windows 98 and XP in the same computer.

• 6 months later...

Modified paragraph C2 to improve the content of "Unmount.reg" by including the deletion of the boot device registry data, so that they become updated automatically at reboot.

HTH

Edited by cannie

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm afraid I forgot to say here that the wide experience obtained all along this thread was essential to build a similar tutorial for Windows 7.

But I've not forgotten the help I received then, and even a rather late I wish to thank dencorso, jaclaz, MDGx and all others for their help.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL

Edited by cannie

I'm afraid I forgot to say here that the wide experience obtained all along this thread was essential to build a similar tutorial for Windows 7.

But I've not forgotten the help I received then, and even a rather late I wish to thank dencorso, jaclaz, MDGx and all others for their help.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL

Hmmm, either I am very late, or you are a bit early for Christmas.... ;).

Nice circular referrence you made :w00t:

:angel

:lol:

jaclaz

Hi jaclaz:

You are right: yes.gif It's too late to thank you all (it's a long time since the Windows 7 tutorial was done) and too soon for Christmas (some two weeks before).wub.gif

Well, maybe I've unconsciously tried to repair my fault now by doing just the opposite angel.gif

Best wishes anyway.

cannie.

Edited by cannie

• 10 months later...

I desperately need to do the first method by connecting my old Win98 HDD and using a floppy to boot it, I've managed to boot it but I always get to the GDI.EXE load failed screen, I don't want to reinstall either OS (Win98 and WinXP), can someone help me.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

This is an interesting read but seems way more complicated than what normally is just dual booting 98 and XP. In the end thats all we are doing here folks but under the guise that it's much more than that when it isn't.   To me if you are really worried about data loss you run RAID so when a hardware failure occurs you don't lose your data.  This dual boot thing does nothing to protect vs that. 

It's nice to be able to boot into another OS to fix another but we can do that with another XP. 2k, 98 linux.  We can boot with recovery CDs like bart PE.  We can just use Symantec Ghost and store .gho backups on another partition.  We are just dual booting 98 and XP here, only we are not even using 98 because its crippled with no drivers.  What if what we need to fix said XP machineand the fiels we need is on the internet. We know 98 browser support is terrible and there is no mention of even having network support on the 98 OS.Ya it's not as great when u think about it.

Edited by Destro