Clone easily Windows 98 and XP in the same computer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I've moved to FAT32 and installed both OS. It works perfect. Thanks! :thumbup

I forgot to say that I'm using a motherboard Gigabyte 945GCM-S2L, no drivers at all for Windows 98 but the video generic one that I found in this forum.

I use Windows 98 only for maintenance, backup, cloning etc.

I always used XP and keep using it as before, but I feel much better being "out of the trap".

Do you all know it's possible to share the same swap file between Win XP and Win 9x? Here's how: common swap! :w00t:

I have been using a Shared Swap File for a long time, now, and it never gave me grief. And if you find this interesting, look around the rest of Nienhuis' Win 98 & 2k Pro page, which has lots of good info. While it's about 98 and 2k, most, if not all of it applies "as is" to XP also.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you all know it's possible to share the same swap file between Win XP and Win 9x? Here's how: common swap! :w00t:

I have been using a Shared Swap File for a long time, now, and it never gave me grief. And if you find this interesting, look around the rest of Nienhuis' Win 98 & 2k Pro page, which has lots of good info. While it's about 98 and 2k, most, if not all of it applies "as is" to XP also.

In the Nienhuis page there is a procedure for "Changing Win2K's system (boot) drive letter" which IMHO could also be used as a way for cloning XP. Even when it is considerably more difficult to implement it than the simple change of active partition, it would eventually be useful i.e to allow booting the second XP unit from the same doubleboot screen without changing the active partition.

It would be interesting to know if anybody has already done it.

In the Nienhuis page there is a procedure for "Changing Win2K's system (boot) drive letter" which IMHO could also be used as a way for cloning XP. Even when it is considerably more difficult to implement it than the simple change of active partition, it would eventually be useful i.e to allow booting the second XP unit from the same doubleboot screen without changing the active partition.

It would be interesting to know if anybody has already done it.

YEP. :)

here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=90495

2K, not XP, but there should be not much difference.

Possibly you would need to stop a couple of services, like VSS or similar things if doing it from a "live" system.

Doing the changes "offline" would be probably more advised.

jaclaz

Doing the changes "offline" would be probably more advised.

jaclaz

I've copied Windows XP into drive K using Windows 98 to do the changes offline, and I'm trying to find out what comes next.

May I have your advice?

Thanks.

Edited by seaweed

I've copied Windows XP into drive K using Windows 98 to do the changes offline, and I'm trying to find out what comes next.

May I have your advice?

Thanks.

Sure :).

See if reading "between the lines" of these:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=19663

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...ic=8233&hl=

is enough to get you started.

It might be advisable to start a new thread for this specific topic (and post here a reference to it).

jaclaz

May I have your advice?

Thanks.

Sure :).

See if reading "between the lines" of these:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=19663

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...ic=8233&hl=

is enough to get you started.

It might be advisable to start a new thread for this specific topic (and post here a reference to it).

jaclaz

Wow! There's a lot of information upon there! I'll try to "digest" it...

Thanks, jaclaz!

As I said in a previous post, I have installed Windows 98 doubleboot having a Gigabyte 945GCM-S2L motherboard. Sound, video, USB and net cards are embedded into it and there are no traces of Windows 98 drivers at all in the manufacturer's install CD.

Nevertheless I installed the universal video driver which I found in a post of this forum and it works perfect, and that's why I dare to ask, could it be possible to find any other drivers for network, USB or sound?

Thanks.

I've modified in the first post the paragraph "C) HOW TO SWITCH BETWEEN XP1 AND XP2" after detecting by my own experience that doing this kind of switch without changing the active partition generates some changes in the registry which could eventually mean problems for you.

Best wishes.

HTH.

Edited by cannie