nLite bug? - Bluescreen 'sfcfiles.dll is not a valid windows image

Klybalur

Hello!

I cannot get the current version of nLite (v1.4.5 Final) to produce a working windows setup with removed components and integrated drivers. The pure SP3 windows works without any problems, so I think it may be bug in nLite when it actually changes something. When I try to setup the nLited XP the setup works normal until after the first reboot it starts into the GUI phase. After the bootup screen (windows logo with moving bar) disappears I get a blue screen with the following error:

STOP C000007B {BAD IMAGE}
THE APP OR DLL \??\C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SFCFILES.DLL IS NOT A VALID WINDOWS IMAGE PLEACE CHECK THIS AGAINST YOUR INSTALLATION DISKETTE.

That is, since I use a german XP I get the german equivalent of the above. Searching the forums I only came up with this old thread - http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t66160.html - where no real solution is given.

Anybody else who experiences this? Anything I can do as a workaround?

Klybalur

I did some more tests and it seems that integrating drivers or removing components isn't the problem. As long as I do only that setup keeps running normal. But any other option produces the mentioned error or a similar one, where setup says uxtheme.dll or sfc...dll (forgot the exact name, but I believe it the one patched to disable SFC) are the files that are corrupt. I didn't try to integrate Hotfixes though, so I don't know if that has any impact.

OK, problem solved. I don't know why, but nLite seems to have serious problems when run inside a virtual machine. With VirtualBox I get the error described in this thread. With VMWare I get ISO images that are not ISO images. Very strange!

I finally got my image built on a computer at the university where .NET is installed.