Order for drivers

Gilou

The benefit with Nlite is to add sata drivers to Win XP installation, among other things, because the hard drive may not be detected. Does it mean sata drivers have to be installed first ? and if yes, how ?

Thanks

I am not sure I get the meaning of your request. :unsure:

If during setup you do not press F6 and supply the appropriate drivers on floppy, if the Windows setup (or ntdetect.com) finds a SATA interface and drive when booting, it searches within the source \I386 whether appropriate drivers are present:

1) if they are found, it installs them

2) if they are NOT found, you'll get a BSOD error, most probably a 0x0000007b one.

nlite is one of the tools able to integrate the drivers in the \I386 source, but they can be manually integrated and there are other apps, like this one:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-M...o-Builder.shtml

http://www.winfuture.de/xpisobuilder

You need either the appropriate drivers on floppy and use F6 or have them intgrated in source, what do you mean by "order"?

If you do not have a floppy and do not want to integrate the drivers, you may use this trick:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=20543

jaclaz

What I mean is :

The BSOD is due to the incapacity of a normal WinXP to detect sata hard drive, the advantage of Nlite is to integrate these drivers to WinXP. SO these drivers must be installed first so that all the other drivers and Win XP can get installed on the SATA drive

Is it really necessary to have them installed first ? And if yes, how to do it ?

The BSOD is due to the incapacity of a normal WinXP to detect sata hard drive, the advantage of Nlite is to integrate these drivers to WinXP.

Almost correct :).

Should be:

The BSOD is due to the incapacity of a normal WinXP to detect have all possible drivers for any sata hard drive controller, the advantage of Nlite is to integrate these drivers to WinXP SOURCE.
SO these drivers must be installed first so that all the other drivers and Win XP can get installed on the SATA drive

Wrong. :(

The drivers need to be integrated to the install SOURCE, NOT installed anywhere.

If the drivers are properly integrated in the source SETUPLDR.BIN (or NTDETECT.COM) will detect the need for them and install them.

As said, the alternative to integrating the drivers in the source (and burn a new CD/DVD) is to manually supply the needed drivers during setup, pressing F6 and "feeding" the install with the drivers on floppy.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

The drivers need to be integrated to the install SOURCE, NOT installed anywhere.

If the drivers are properly integrated in the source SETUPLDR.BIN (or NTDETECT.COM) will detect the need for them and install them.

If I select the .inf files of the sata drivers with nlite, will it be fine ?

PS : I can't use F6 because I won't have any floppy on that laptop.

BTW, how come we download drivers of 14MB with 10h of files and select only one ?

Edited by Gilou

OK some things to understand on the driver issue:

The inf you select tells windows which all files are needed. (nLite reads that and selects all of those files to add to your disk.)

When you are integrating your sata drivers you MUST remember 2 things.

1=Make sure they are WHQL (That can be figured out by seeing if there is a .cat file in the folder)

2=The file txsetup.oem is very very crucial and must be in that same folder.

If I select the .inf files of the sata drivers with nlite, will it be fine ?

As stated above, for "F6 like" integration, it's not the .inf you need, but the "txsetup.oem" integrated in "text mode" (nLite prompts you for that).