iso file from nlite

On another group i posted also a thread with the question: how do i put the ISO file created with Nlite to usb? Ponch and Jaclaz answered and so i come on this group. In here i read to make a install from usb key. How difficult it is is not clear yet because i don't no where to begin and what i must edit etc.

But i also can't find how to strip windows xp sp2 with nlite and then put the output (is iso must be extracted i guess) on the usb key and then on...

Create the .iso with nlite.

Possibly test it in a Virtual Machine of some kind (optional).

Either mount it in a Virtual CD like this:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

(only an example, there are many other ones, filedisk, imdisk, etc.)

Or use an archive app, like winrar or 7-zip to extract the contents of the .iso to a local folder, say C:\XPSOURCE\

Run the USB_multiboot_9.cmd and point it to the source folder or to the virtual drive.

READ attentively the FAQs and the readme's inside the download.

jaclaz

Hi!

I'm trying to do just the same thing as the OP using a nLited XP and USB_multiboot_9. The USB drive boots into setup just fine, but after some time (when filesystem drivers are loaded I think) the machine just reboots. It doesn't make any difference whether I use PeToUSB and FAT oder the HP-Tool and NTFS as filesystem.

Any ideas what the problem may be?

Klybalur

but after some time (when filesystem drivers are loaded I think) the machine just reboots.

What you describe is a bit too "vague" to pinpoint the problem, I am afraid.

Can you try to better describe what's happening?

I.e. try to list what you see happening until you experience the reboot.

Also please post some details on the actual PC you are trying to install to, laptop/desktop, make/model, type and size of hard disk(s), how it/they are partitioned, are you truing to install from a USB stick or USB hard disk, etc.

Maybe dumb recommendations :unsure:, but unplug any other USB device (except mouse/keyboard) and make sure you are putting the USB stick or hard disk to one of the USB sockets on the back of the PC if desktop, (the ones soldered to motherboard, NOT the front ones connected to a cable).

Do not use external USB hubs.

It doesn't make any difference whether I use PeToUSB and FAT oder the HP-Tool and NTFS as filesystem.

Yes, that should make not any difference since you are well past the booting phase.

jaclaz

Thanks for your help, but I'm afraid the USB boot isn't the real problem. I missed to test the nLite image because I never had any problems with nLite. Now I ran it in VirtualBox and experienced the very same problem - the machine froze. Sorry for the fuss O:-)

but after some time (when filesystem drivers are loaded I think) the machine just reboots.

What you describe is a bit too "vague" to pinpoint the problem, I am afraid.

Can you try to better describe what's happening?

I.e. try to list what you see happening until you experience the reboot.

JFTR: The boot goes without any problems. The setup starts and starts to load the various drivers. Until it loads the driver for the FAT filesystem. At this point the screen would go blank and the machne would reboot.

It doesn't make any difference whether I use PeToUSB and FAT oder the HP-Tool and NTFS as filesystem.

Yes, that should make not any difference since you are well past the booting phase.

Ohh, OK. I just thought I could be the filesystem since the reboot occurs when setup tries to load filesystem drivers. Now I try a new nLite run.

Thanks for your help anyway!

Klybalur