How Much Air Flow?

tb582

I have been using 5 of these fans in my case for about the past two years. While this was fine when the computer was in a different room, now that its in the same room that I spend the majority of my time in, I dont want the fans so loud....

I'm looking at getting some quieter fans maybe these Do you think that this would still provide enough air flow?

Your main problem is that you're running 80mm fans. The smaller the fan diameter, the faster it has to spin to profide the same amount of airflow - thus making it louder. What kind of case are you running?

Are your fans connected to the fan headers on your motherboard? If so, you can either try enabling the fan control that most BIOSes have (usually under "Hardware Monitoring" or the like), or downloading the latest version of SpeedFan and controlling the fan speeds that way. SpeedFan will also let you keep an eye on your temperatures to tell if everything is within par.

If worse comes to worse, a new case that uses 120mm fans might be in order instead of new 80mm fans. I'm guessing that any Antec case (which comes with Antec TriCools - set them to low) would be much quieter than your current setup.

-remove the lower 80mm fan that's in the back, and put tape over the grill so that air cannot enter the case through there.

-remove the fan from the side of the case, put tape over that area.

-remove the fan from the hard drive cage.

look into Nexus or Noctua 80mm fans, they're quieter and will offer better performance.

it will be balanced out through air pressure, so having less fans wont be necessarily bad.

but with replacing the fans, you'll want to replace your CPU heatsink to a newer one that can work better in lower airflow situations.

what type of CPU do you have?

-remove the lower 80mm fan that's in the back, and put tape over the grill so that air cannot enter the case through there.

-remove the fan from the side of the case, put tape over that area.

-remove the fan from the hard drive cage.

look into Nexus or Noctua 80mm fans, they're quieter and will offer better performance.

it will be balanced out through air pressure, so having less fans wont be necessarily bad.

but with replacing the fans, you'll want to replace your CPU heatsink to a newer one that can work better in lower airflow situations.

what type of CPU do you have?

That sounds like a good plan... do you know if they make a panel that will close off unused fan slots? not that there's anything wrong with tape, I just figure if they make something to close them off it would work better....

I'm running two Intel Xeon Processos one with a Swiftech Heatsink and the other with the stock heatsink, unfortunelly the way the DH-800 mobo is laid out it doesn't allow enough room to install two Swiftech heatsinks.

I'd suggest looking into the Thermalright HR-01. The board layout would allow you to stick two on...it would also allow you to arrange it so that you have have a 120mm fan clipped onto the edges of the two so that you can cool both quietly.

8az76vt.jpg

that's what you could do with it if you didn't follow my explanation.

I'd suggest looking into the Thermalright HR-01. The board layout would allow you to stick two on...it would also allow you to arrange it so that you have have a 120mm fan clipped onto the edges of the two so that you can cool both quietly.

that's what you could do with it if you didn't follow my explanation.

Do you know if that works with the Intel based DH-800? Couple of the sites I looked at said it only works with AMD-based motherboards...

Edited by tb582