I want to remove 1394 networking from XP, need comments.

Short Circuit

Hello all,

I'd like to permanently remove 1394 networking from Windows XP SP2 or SP3.

I have found the file net1394.inf, and the driver files it requires; nic1394.sys and arp1394.sys.

If I were to remove any instances of these three files from DRVINDEX.INF, DOSNET.INF and LAYOUT.INF.

Would that be enough?

Thanks in advance.

You would need to remove stuff from registry as well as from driver.cab and so on. But very doable. Tho it takes time.

If you want to remove more things, it might just be as well to reinstall, considering removing stuff manually takes, time...

OK,

First I want to thank those who replied. But I guess I wasn't specific enough.

I'm creating a new build of XP Pro with SP3 integrated, and I want to eliminate 1394 networking entirely.

I know nLite can do it for me, but I then don't learn anything, and beside that, the rest of my builds, both CD\DVD or networked,

have always been built manually, by yours truly. Sure I've made my share of mistakes, but I try and learn from them, hence

my desire to do it all myself.

An addition to my previous questions:

As long as the INF files that configure the "1394 Net Adapter" aren't loaded during Windows setup, do I really have to elminate the other files, like .SYS or .DLL etc.?

Thanks again.

Expand SYSSETUP.IN_

find [DeviceInfsToInstall]

1394.inf

1394vdbg.inf

put semicolons in front of these entries:

[DeviceInfsToInstall]

;1394.inf

;1394vdbg.inf

This section is the "Please wait while Windows installs devices" phase. Compact it again and put it back.

You will need a modified SYSSETUP.DLL or you can use the setup DLL that nLite modifies. I forget which one it is.

As long as the INF files that configure the "1394 Net Adapter" aren't loaded during Windows setup, do I really have to elminate the other files, like .SYS or .DLL etc.

No. No need.