End of support for Windows 98/ME in OpenOffice.org 3

Sfor

@Sfor

Just want to ask regarding the Go OO, did you use it on a Win98Se (without KernelEX installed)? And was it able to open docx documents without any problems? I'm just asking it because I noticed that Go OO is based on the Novell Open Office edition and somehow, I was having problems opening docx with it in Win98SE environment. I just don't know if the previously installed Sun Open Office had something to do with it. It's like this, I used to have a Sun OO 2.3 version installed in my PC. Then I uninstalled it to make way for the Novell 2.3. The Novell version could not open the docx file, and it keeps reporting a "read error."

I want to hold-off from installing KernelEX (to use the Sun OO version 3) for now because the last time I installed KernelEX (v 3.5), it prevented my games from running properly. I mean, Kernel was able to resolve the Gameguard problem I submitted quite some time ago, but this time, it caused problems in the games itself (like Warcraft and Ragnarok).

Anyway, another question of mine would be, when I uninstall Open Office (any version), is there an entry in the registry that I should erase manually so that it would not affect another Open Office version that I would want to install afterwards?

Hope you could help me. Thanks!

I have abandoned the GO OO testing. I've discovered a significant problem with Calc. Everytime I'm trying to copy/paste a range of cells a protection fault error happens. So, this version of Calc is not good for any advanced use.

As for the DOCX support testing, I've oppened a document or two. Thats, all.

The GO OO works on a Windows 98 without KernelEx, just as OOo 2 does.

I know nothing about any system registry entries related to OO, I'm afraid.

Edited by Sfor

I installed Kernel EX and was able to successfully install OO 3! However, something funny happened. It ran without hitches the first time I tried it (eg. created a document, opened a docx file, etc.), afterwards, I closed the program. When I tried to open it again, this happened:

1) OO 3 only opened up to the point where it will make you choose what do (eg. open a file, create a document, create a worksheet, etc). When I click on the icon of my choice, the icon would behave normally (it will react like it was pressed) but then nothing will happen after it. No document will be created.

2) After that, I closed OO3 and then I tried opening the "Writer" direct from the "start menu" but after a brief display of the hour glass beside the cell pointer, nothing will happen. When I try it again, then a document will be created but it's title is "untitled 2" (it should be untitled 1) and worse is, it has no menus! No icons no drop down menus, nothing!!! Just the rulers on the top and the left side and the "paper" itself!

I'm quite stumped really! Has anyone encountered this problem? Any suggestions? :unsure:

Edited by jglori

@Xeno86

Try disabling quick launch and say if it helps.

I tried it already but it didn't work. :(

Anyway, I tried browsing the net in search for solutions and I came across this OO3 issue that affects XP and Linux. It's about "document recovery loop" and the symptoms seems to be the same as the one I'm experiencing. The solution it offered involves the deletion of the "recovery.xcu" file.

They showed this path to get to this "recovery.xcu" file: Documents and settings/<user>/Application data/Openoffice.org2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Recovery.xcu. However, this is in XP. What's the equivalent path in Win98SE?

Edited by jglori

just click on start then find -> files and folders

then paste recovery.xcu in the name box

at look in select local harddrives and press find.

This should find the file .

In OO 2 the file is located in

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\OpenOffice....\Office

Edited by Kwibus