Slipstreaming SP3, Windows Media Player 11 and Internet Explorer 7.

neopets_35

Currently I'm planning to slipstream SP3, WMP11 and IE7 into a Windows XP Home Edition SP2 media. While I've previously successfully slipstreamed SP3 into Windows XP SP2 using nLite 1.4.5 (without touching any other settings at all), now I've been doing loads of researches to integrate both Windows Media Player 11 and Internet Explorer 7.

How do I integrate Windows Media Player 11? Do I really have to rely on the Windows Media Player 11 Slipstreamer utility? I know, many are using the tool, but is it possible for me to integrate WMP11 into my Windows XP installation disc using only nLite, eg. inserting the original WMP11 installer into the "Hotfixes and Update Packs" portion of nLite? If not, is using the add-on of WMP11 here in nLite same as integrating it with Windows Media Player 11 Slipstreamer?

Through many researches I did, integrating Internet Explorer 7 is fine using only nLite. However, I did see many complaint of the Windows's System File Protection (SFP) errors when integrating both WMP11 and IE7 into the Windows XP installation disc. Do I really have to disable SFP first, then? Moreover, I don't see any error with integrating SP3 into my Windows XP SP2 previously. Besides, I do prefer things to be left at its default settings.

Anyway, how should the sequence for the integration of SP3, WMP11 and IE7 into my XP (w/SP2) installation disc be? Also, please consider the updates that Service Pack 3 have for both WMP11 and IE7.

1. Windows Media Player 11
  2. Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP
  3. Finally, Internet Explorer 7

Will this be fine, in other words, will not cause any error? Is it also possible to integrate IE7 first before SP3? Well, this is because I know SP3 includes updates for Internet Explorer 7. But of course, I also know that installing IE7 before SP3 will render it uninstallable, but it isn't an issue to me.

1. Windows Media Player 11
  2. Internet Explorer 7
  3. And finally, Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP

What about this, then? Will it be the same then?

Please guide me, please. Your help is highly appreciated. Thank you.

I don't know why so many people are having an issue with this. I used Nlite to integrate SP3 and in the "RunOnce" section I have the following in this order:

c:\IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe /quiet /norestart

c:\wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe /Q

Place the two files listed above in the $OEM$/$1 folder and you're good to go. I've used it on half a dozen machines, it works perfectly.

wmp11 slisptreamer directly integrates wmp11 to your xp cd, meaning it overwrites the wmp files with new ones and also add the new wmp 11 files to the xp cd.

u dont have to rely on it if u dont like it.....

the addon u were talking is a svcpack/runonce addon that add full wmp11 installer to your cd which will be executed with a silent switch during the xp install process.

so i guess its just your choice......

as for the order i would do it like this

1. slisptream sp3

2. add wmp 11 installer and ie7 installer to nlite.

Edited by boooggy

wmp11 slisptreamer directly integrates wmp11 to your xp cd, meaning it overwrites the wmp files with new ones and also add the new wmp 11 files to the xp cd.

u dont have to rely on it if u dont like it.....

the addon u were talking is a svcpack/runonce addon that add full wmp11 installer to your cd which will be executed with a silent switch during the xp install process.

so i guess its just your choice......

as for the order i would do it like this

1. slisptream sp3

2. add wmp 11 installer and ie7 installer to nlite.

Oh, I see. Thanks for your reply, at least now I know that the Windows Media Player 11 Slipstreamer utility replaces the old WMP with the newer WMP11. Honestly speaking, it's not that I dislike the utility, but it's just that it would like it more if a portable or a "no-installation-needed" version is available for the utility, like nLite. And if possible, do you mind sending me just the executable (or portable) file for the WMP11 Slipstreamer?

And anyway, why Service Pack 3 (SP3) first, I wonder? Sorry if I'm questioning too much, I just wanna' know why. Isn't it the same if I integrate WMP11 first before SP3? Anyway, is your method (SP3 > WMP 11 > IE7) entirely faultless, producing zero error?

Thanks a thousand, anyway. Also, credits go to your Windows Media Player 11 Slipstreamer utility, it's a great tool, believe me! Thanks a lot!

sp3 should go first beacuse if u integrate it after wmp 11 will overwrite wmp11 files with wmp 9 files and u will get a very nice cd.....

about portable version of wmp11 slips....hmmmm

u can unapack the installer and grab the executable

or u can install it and grab the .exe and then uninstall....

I don't know why so many people are having an issue with this. I used Nlite to integrate SP3 and in the "RunOnce" section I have the following in this order:

Place the two files listed above in the $OEM$/$1 folder and you're good to go. I've used it on half a dozen machines, it works perfectly.

I am trying to add in the above on a previous unattended installation, but I do not have the $1 folder. I dont have it in the original XP disk either.

Do I have to create the folder myself?

I am trying to add in the above on a previous unattended installation, but I do not have the $1 folder. I dont have it in the original XP disk either.

Do I have to create the folder myself?

Anybody? :unsure:

I haven't had as much luck with successfully slipstreaming SP3, IE7, and WMP11.

I've tried the following:

Host OS: Windows XP SP2

Source files: Windows XP SP2 Volume License version fresh from technet subscription

Older version of IE7 from Microsoft's site (the one that asks for validation during a standard install). I've also tried the newer one that does not ask for validation with the same bad results (see below)

Windows Media Player 11 from Microsoft's site

XP SP3 from Microsoft's site

XPSP3: Slipstreamed using /integrate switch

IE7: Slipstreamed using nLite 1.4.5

WMP11: Slipstreamed using WMP11 Slipstreamer 1.2 .exe file in nLite source.

The end result is always this:

1) I get an error message: "Error creating process . Reason: The system cannot find the file specified" (regarding WMP11)

2) Quick Launch will not appear when I right-click the Taskbar, left-click Properties, check the box "Show Quick "Launch", Apply, OK.

3) Double-clicking the Internet Explorer icon results in creating a shortcut instead of opening the browser.

4) Typing "http://something.com" (really, any website) in the "Run" box will result in an error message "Cannot open »something.com...(can't remember the rest of the error message)." IE7 opens up afterward, and the same error message occurs if I use IE7's address bar to type in a URL.

Ideas?

I haven't had as much luck with successfully slipstreaming SP3, IE7, and WMP11.

I've tried the following:

Host OS: Windows XP SP2

Source files: Windows XP SP2 Volume License version fresh from technet subscription

Older version of IE7 from Microsoft's site (the one that asks for validation during a standard install). I've also tried the newer one that does not ask for validation with the same bad results (see below)

Windows Media Player 11 from Microsoft's site

XP SP3 from Microsoft's site

XPSP3: Slipstreamed using /integrate switch

IE7: Slipstreamed using nLite 1.4.5

WMP11: Slipstreamed using WMP11 Slipstreamer 1.2 .exe file in nLite source.

The end result is always this:

1) I get an error message: "Error creating process . Reason: The system cannot find the file specified" (regarding WMP11)

2) Quick Launch will not appear when I right-click the Taskbar, left-click Properties, check the box "Show Quick "Launch", Apply, OK.

3) Double-clicking the Internet Explorer icon results in creating a shortcut instead of opening the browser.

4) Typing "http://something.com" (really, any website) in the "Run" box will result in an error message "Cannot open »something.com...(can't remember the rest of the error message)." IE7 opens up afterward, and the same error message occurs if I use IE7's address bar to type in a URL.

Ideas?

I suggest, if you can get a hold of it, to use the official SP3 iso from MSDN called "en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_vl_x14-73974.iso" (it's a VL disk so you have to have a valid Volume License Key to use it... but anyways...) Start with that.

Then install WMP11 Slipstreamer

Then install nLite

Then in the "Integrate" part in nLite first add "WMP11-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe" then add "IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe"

After these are integrated you will notice there will be a svcpack folder in your i386 folder with some files nLite thinks didn't get integrated properly, delete this as it's not needed. If you look in your i386 folder you will notice there is one file that didn't get cab'ed called XMLLITE.DLL, you can cab that if you want (I do). I don't know why but that's why there is a svcpack folder there... some bug I guess.

This is how I do it and it works perfectly for me.

Edited by godan

• 2 weeks later...
I suggest, if you can get a hold of it, to use the official SP3 iso from MSDN called "en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_vl_x14-73974.iso" (it's a VL disk so you have to have a valid Volume License Key to use it... but anyways...) Start with that.

Then install WMP11 Slipstreamer

Then install nLite

Then in the "Integrate" part in nLite first add "WMP11-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe" then add "IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe"

After these are integrated you will notice there will be a svcpack folder in your i386 folder with some files nLite thinks didn't get integrated properly, delete this as it's not needed. If you look in your i386 folder you will notice there is one file that didn't get cab'ed called XMLLITE.DLL, you can cab that if you want (I do). I don't know why but that's why there is a svcpack folder there... some bug I guess.

This is how I do it and it works perfectly for me.

I tried this out with a few configurations (I didn't cab xmllite.dll like you did):

Exhibit A:

Normal install, no unattended stuff.

Result: Worked fine. No IE icon in standard view, IE icon appears in Classic View and works just fine. Media Player 11 also works as expected.

Exhibit B:

Unattended install using the following:

1) WinPE 2.1, created my partition, made active, and formatted it via DISKPART, then mapped drive letter T to a share on my network with unattend.txt file.

2) winnt32.exe with the following parameters:

winnt32.exe /syspart:c: /unattend:t:\wkst\unattend.txt /makelocalsource /tempdrive:c:

Drive letter T is a network drive I mapped earlier to the unattended file.

3) The following unattend.txt answer file file:

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=1

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

FileSystem=ConvertNTFS

UnattendSwitch=YES

ExtendOemPartition=1

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword="thepassword"

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=20

OemSkipWelcome=1

AutoLogon=Yes

AutoLogonCount=1

[userData]

FullName="Killer B"

OrgName="None"

ComputerName=KILLERBOX

ProductID=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

[setupMgr]

DistFolder=d:\xppro

DistShare=xppro

[Display]

BitsPerPel=32

Xresolution=1024

YResolution=768

[TapiLocation]

AreaCode=618

CountryCode=1

Dialing=Tone

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[shell]

DefaultStartPanelOff=YES

DefaultThemesOff=YES

[Components]

accessopt=OFF

freecell=OFF

hearts=OFF

minesweeper=OFF

msnexplr=OFF

pinball=OFF

solitaire=OFF

zonegames=OFF

spider=OFF

fax=ON

WMAccess=OFF

OEAccess=OFF

Result: Same issues with MP11 erroring out on initial logon and IE behavior is the same...

Is there anything in this answer file that would break SP3 that would not break SP2?

Edited by killerb255

One thing I forgot to mention that I do that may change the way things get setup is... sometime back MS screwed up ierunonce.dll causing all kinds of trouble with runonceex.cmd perhaps this is causing issues with your unattended install, to get past this I simply take the iernonce.dll from the most recent ie7 hotfix (you can't integrate it directly with nlite since MS still hasn't made the hotfix sp3 compatible via slipstreaming), cab it and replace the one that ie7 ships with. This may allow wmp11 to run any final setup stuff before your first logon that it couldn't before.

Edited by godan

How would i be able to get "en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_vl_x14-73974.iso" legally?! I do have a legit VLK key, but not an account with MSDN.

If you have a legal VLK, then either you or whoever you got that key from has a technet subscription, is a Microsoft partner, or bought a volume license and has the media (i.e.: your company).

Therefore, "legit" VLK - technet, MSDN, Microsoft partnership, or employment at a company that owns the license = not legit.

If it's your own VLK, then contact whoever you bought the VLK from and see if they'll send you the media.