Day-to-day running Win 9x/ME with more than 1 GiB RAM

• 2 months later...

Please add the following system to the list.

Motherboard: Asus M5A97

OSes: Windows 98SE + Windows 95, ME, 3.11 and XP SP3 + MSDOS 7.10, using RFDISK Multi-Boot Profile MBR

Memory: 32 GiB (4x 8 GiB DDR3 DIMMs; 3069 MiB available to Win 98SE; 29692 MiB available to RAMDISKs and 64-Bit Memory SDK)

CPU: AMD FX-8120 Eight Core

Motherboard Ethernet and Sound Disabled (No Win 9x Drivers)

USB 3 (XP Only)

Video Card: NVIDIA 7200GS PCI-E (with 81.98 Driver, with shutdown problem)

Sound Card: Envy24

Ethernet Card: RTL8139

2 Removable SATA Trays

1TB SATA Hard Drive currently installed

Blu-Ray Writer

TBPLUS Disk Package

CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:\HIMEMEX.SYS /S /V ; used with RAMDSK64 and 64-Bit Memory SDK.

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /NUMHANDLES=64

AUTOEXEC.BAT:

RAMDSK64 R: 6000000 (6GB non-XMS RAMDISK For Internet Temporaries)

Remaining 64-Bit RAM reserved for 64-Bit RAM and Multi-Core SDKs.

vmm32.vxd (real mode), vcache.vxd: 4.10.0.2222, vmm.vxd: 4.10.0.2226 with RAM Limitation Patch 7.1 (with /M and /P Options)

This topic has been updated!

What's New?

on post #2:

RLoew's #2 machine has been updated. Now it is the new RAM record holder for 9x/ME: 32 GiB RAM onboard! :thumbup

Let's keep the list up-to-date:

If you are using 9x/ME with more than 1 GiB RAM, do PM me your info and you shall be added to the list!

• 2 weeks later...

loblo's 4GB system (the only known 4GB Windows Me system in the world :w00t:) has been added.

With exactly 4GiB yes. The larger ones all multi-boot ME.

Only known 4GB Windows Me system in the world in daily "production" use I guess then. ;)

That's not why I am posting however, but because my system specs have slightly changed, I have replaced my sound card again and I am now happily using an ESI Juli@.

I had too many issues with the M-Audio 2496 vxd driver, ranging from it not being fully multiclient to having noise in the output of some audio applications and generating OS freezes if using GPU accelerated applications after using certain audio apps such as winamp because of some bad interaction with directdraw apparently... None of that crap with the Juli@ which sounds better than the 2496 and whose wdm driver is apparently flawless and has I believe the lowest known audio latency (down to 1ms). B)

Tip in case of problems for installing/reinstalling wdm audio drivers correctly btw: deleting the HKLM\Enum\SW registry key before install/reinstall is a VERY GOOD IDEA. B)

Edited by loblo

What's New?

on post #2:

LoneCrusader's #1 machine has been updated, and his new #2 machine has been added. :thumbup

If you are using 9x/ME with more than 1 GiB RAM, do PM me your info and you shall be added to the list!

My system details need a bit of an update now too!

:hello:

I decided to change my graphics card back to the nVidia one I tried out some time ago, as I'm now running more demanding applications on the XP side of the system.

The card is now a XFX branded nVidia GeForce 7950GT AGP card with 512 MB of memory on-board.

Works fine with the unofficial tweaked nVidia Display Driver 82.69 at 1920 x 1080 (I've finally bought a 21st century monitor!)

The AGP aperture is now set to 128 MB (the only configuration that works with the card IIRC).

I now have only (!) 3071 MB available to Win 98SE.

I'm putting up with the bad 98 shutdown caused by the card, in every other respect the system is running beautifully!

Cheers, Dave.

:)

What's New?

on post #2:

Dave-H's, TmEE's #3 and LoneCrusader's #2 machines configurations have been updated. :thumbup

Just also noticed that my specs say I'm running PatchMem version 6.0.

I'm actually now running version 7.0.

I've now realised there is a 7.1 so I've contacted Rudolph Loew about an update.

Interesting to see that loblo's second machine is using the same graphics card and driver that I am, but with the AGP aperture set to 64 MB.

If I do that with my system Windows 98 won't load the desktop and just sits permanently on a flashing cursor after the splash screen.

I guess that's probably down to being a different motherboard, or possibly because he's running ME not 98SE.

Edited by Dave-H

Fixed!

Interesting to see that loblo's second machine is using the same graphics card and driver that I am, but with the AGP aperture set to 64 MB. If I do that with my system Windows 98 won't load the desktop and just sits permanently on a flashing cursor after the splash screen. I guess that's probably down to being a different motherboard, or possibly because he's running ME not 98SE.

Both are good guesses. I'd bet on different boards, different maximum possible specs... but Win ME *is* quite different at the lowest level from 98SE, possibly enough to allow such different results, too.

Both are good guesses. I'd bet on different boards, different maximum possible specs... but Win ME *is* quite different at the lowest level from 98SE, possibly enough to allow such different results, too.

Yes, that's probably it.

Off topic, but just to mention that Rudolph Loew says there is no point in upgrading from Patchmem 7.0 to 7.1, as functionally they are identical.

Incidentally, my memory spec in post #2 says -

Memory: 4 GiB (4x 1 GiB DIMMs; 3583 MiB available to Win 98SE); 3071 MiB available for Win 98SE

The memory available to 98SE is there twice with different amounts quoted.

Is that a mistake or is it of some significance?

Edited by Dave-H

Fixed!

It's interesting to notice that windows saw 3583 MiB with the ATI Radeon X850 with 256 MiB VRAM video card, but on moving on to a XFX nVidia GeForce 7950GT AGP with 512 MiB VRAM video card (so 256 MiB more) windows started to see 3071 MiB (which is precisely 512 MiB less, twice the VRAM amount added). Then again, the comparison is not perfect because the original video card was an ATI, while the new one is an nVidia...

Fixed!

It's interesting to notice that windows saw 3583 MiB with the 256 MiB video card, but on moving on to a 512 MiB video card (so 256 MiB more) windows started to see 3071 MiB (which is precisely 512 MiB less, twice the VRAM amount added). Then again, the comparison is not perfect because the original video card was an ATI, while the new one is an nVidia...

With my board the amount of RAM seen by windows is the same whether I use a 7950GT 512Mb or a 7800GS 256MB. I have an ATI X850 Pro 256MB lying around somewhere so I could try to install that and see if there is a difference but I am too lazy right now...

BTW, Dencorso, please don't forget to replace my audio card specs from M-Audio 2496 to ESI Juli@ if you don't mind.

:hello:

Fixed!

It's interesting to notice that windows saw 3583 MiB with the 256 MiB video card, but on moving on to a 512 MiB video card (so 256 MiB more) windows started to see 3071 MiB (which is precisely 512 MiB less, twice the VRAM amount added). Then again, the comparison is not perfect because the original video card was an ATI, while the new one is an nVidia...

I have noticed similar things in my Computers. I assume it has to do with the way the BIOS allocates Memory Mapped I/O Space. My ECS Computer dropped from 3647MiB to 3071 MiB when I installed a new video card.