Password expiration

coch

Hi,

Can anyone confirm this bug?:

(I had initially reported this here http://www.msfn.org/board/Administrator-Ac...486#entry754486 but never got a reply, and my post was not fully on topic with the thread anyways so I thought a new topic would be best)

The issue is that the Password expiration = "false" setting is saved as "true" in the presets file. This is really annoying to me, and I believe nLite produces WinXP ISOs with password expiration enabled even though I unchecked password expiration (I always uncheck password expiration in nLite, but on several occasions I was asked to change my expired password on my user accounts and this should not have happened.)

A simple way to test this is:

1) On the screen where you configure user accounts, remove the check box for Password expiration, for all users.

2) Verify by clicking on each user that the password expiration is really deselected.

3) Save your preset.

4) Reload the preset and see that the Password expiration check box reverts to being checked instead of unchecked.

5) You can also open your preset file you just saved, and check the sequence of true and false under the [users] section. You will see that the setting for password expiration has been saved as "true". Edit: I was wrong on this one, looks like there isn't even a True/False for the password expiration and thus, the setting does not get saved in the presets file. Still, the issue remains that the box reverts on being checked when loading my preset and my isos are such that Windows will eventually ask for a password even though I always uncheck the password expiration.

Anyone else see this?

Edited by coch

• 2 weeks later...

This is my biggest and pretty much only problem I am having with nLite and it's driving me crazy!!

I emailed Dino Nuhagic and this was the response I got: "Yes people reported that few times but I never found a reason.

Let me know if you find it."

I have tried the box unchecked, checked with 0 in the days box. Neither one works.

In the Users section fo the session file what do all of these trues and falses stand for?

username|||True|Users|password|False|True|False

is there any way to edit these session files before loading them in nlite and making the setting stick?

In the Users section fo the session file what do all of these trues and falses stand for?

username|||True|Users|password|False|True|False

is there any way to edit these session files before loading them in nlite and making the setting stick?

The first True/False is for 'Active' i.e. whether or not the account is active.

The remaining 3 True/False are for 'Blank Password', 'Must Have Password', and 'Can Change Password', respectively. This made me realize that I was wrong: Looks like there isn't even a True/False for the password expiration and thus, the setting does not get saved in the presets file. Still, the issue remains that the box reverts on being checked when loading my preset and my isos are such that Windows will eventually ask for a password even though I always uncheck the password expiration.

Hopefully you will find the cause (and thus the solution), because I have had several installations that out-of-the-blue complained that the password (which was not set!) was expired... Guess this is the reason?!

How can I check whether my current (running) installation is having this problem as well? (without waiting for this warning to appear)

Hopefully you will find the cause (and thus the solution), because I have had several installations that out-of-the-blue complained that the password (which was not set!) was expired... Guess this is the reason?!

How can I check whether my current (running) installation is having this problem as well? (without waiting for this warning to appear)

Not 100% sure, but my guess would be looking in your registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

there should be a key named PasswordExpiryWarning that specifies the # of days until expiration. I believe this key only specifies the length though, and I suspect there is another key to toggle the expiration on and off (and if it is on, this duration specified by this key here is honored) but I have not found it yet.