Keeping up-to-date with WU and hotfixes

traycer

Hi all... long-time vLite user, first-time poster. Great job with 1.1.6, nuhi, as always. :thumbup

Up until now, I've only used vLite to remove unneeded components to trim down the installation disk space and memory footprint. I am running 32-bit Vista on my laptop and 64-bit Vista on my desktop. Since SP1 won't install on those, I decided to reinstall non-vLite Vista from scratch on my laptop when SP1 came out. Everything seemed to work fine (not that I had been having any issues with Vista before). This weekend, I decided to look into creating a Vista SP1 slipstream disc.

I grabbed vLite 1.1.6 and had no problems or confusion creating a 32-bit Vista SP1 Business (from an Ultimate DVD) ISO image. Burned it to a DVD, and was able to reinstall my laptop from scratch in less than 20 minutes. :yes:

First thing I do is run Windows Update, of course. 19 updates showed up. Now, I'm wondering if there is a way to integrate those 19 updates into my vLite image? It appears that the "integration" tab will do this, even though it only talks about hotfixes, drivers and languages. As I understand, what Microsoft calls "hotfixes" are not the same as "updates"... but it looks like vLite considers them the same thing?

Assuming that is true, what is the most efficient way to maintain a local repository of .cab and .msu files? Right now, I have to manually bring up the support.microsoft.com web page for each update and download the .msu file. That seems like unnecessary work, since Windows Update must already do this. I can't figure out where it stores those files, however.

Next, assuming I have the updates downloaded, can I incrementally integrate new updates into an existing vLite image? Or do I have to start fresh with the Vista image, slipstream in SP1, then proceed with integration, component removal, tweaks, etc.? It appears that vLite will allow me to open an already-vLited image, but the documentation does not mention if this is supported.

Ideally, I'd like to merge a folder full of updates with a vLite'd install.wim, and vLite will magically know which ones have already been integrated, which ones are integrated but have a newer version now (like Windows Defender definitions), remember all my other settings, and build a new ISO image.

Even better would be a method to automate this as an unattended process that checks for new updates once a day, and if there are any changes, automatically rebuild a fresh vLite ISO. But I'll understand if that's not currently feasible. :lol:

Edited by traycer

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download <---WU downloads.Rename the extensionless files to .rar extension and unrar.

Ah, of course! Those look like CAB files, so I should be able to use any CAB extractor tool on them? It looks like Lenovo's Thinkvantage System Update stores things in there too.

When integrating newest updates...ckeck this thread too: http://www.msfn.org/board/A-Hotfix-Update-...ot-t116962.html

Yep, I found your thread in another search. So far, so good here though. A vLited Vista Business SP1 with most of the hotfixes as of May 24, 2008 has installed fine on my laptop and running smoothly. Thanks!

Im actually creating a program which lets you download Post-SP1 Updates from MS Website. The best feature will be downloading all the updates that have appeared since installation so if you integrate updates then you can download the new ones to integrate too and so on. If that makes sense.

EDIT: Almost Done, just need to add support for x86 Windows.

You can download a .VUD file which has a list of updates and the download location, which the .VUD file would be released when a new update comes out, then the user downloads and replaces the old one so they can directly download the new updates using the program.

Also it reads the Windows Update log so it displays just the updates which have appeared for your computer.

Edited by LegoLiam™

Nobody using: http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?...s&showcat=2

I've using it since a year and think it's really great. There you find all hotfixes not accessible through

MS Download Center/MU/WU. These hotfixes must usually be ordered from MS or you have to wait for next SP. The hotfixes from MS Download Center can't be found here with some exception.

Hotfixes are in .MSU format and no problem to integrate them with vLite. Until now there are 100+ post-SP1

with some really important I would say.

In the past the quality of these hotfixes could in some cases be doubtful but that's not a problem anymore I would say.

Edited by schakan