defrag not working

Hey gang.

Somewhere along the line defrag stopped working. Kept getting some kind of MMC snap-in error. Found some help on the web that suggested re-registering a couple of the dfr*.dlls. When I tried registering dfrgsnap.dll, I kept getting an error stateing it wasn't and executable file. I finally saw where someone suggested expanding it from the I386 directory from the install CD. The odd thing is that the compressed file (dfrgsnap.dl_)wasn't there. Doing a search on the CD I found it under the d:\AMD64 folder. I expanded and registered. Fired up defrag and ran it on a partition that wasn't important. Seemed to work fine.

I am guessing it's fixed but wanted to see if anyone had any comments before I defraged my more important partitions.

Thanks for you time

:hello:

Please listen. Do not use Defrag program that is shipped with windows. Not on vista not on xp or 2000 etc. not anyone.

If you insist, know that Defrag program as in topic also utilizes compression on old files, as configured in registry.

This can be fixed by disabling compression, however Defrag in windows require several runs and is not very efficient at making partitions defragged

properly. Search for JKDefrag for a nice, simple to use program.

Also available in x64bit edition ,its free, works on everything, is kick a** product on defragging partitions with large clusters. I use 64KB clusters exclusively, as free harddrive space isnt a problem and it causes a huge improvement on the MFT tables and much more. Long story short, please dont use it unless you have to. Regedit and search for disable compression, dont remember registry key atm , but google will tell u.

If you want to ntfs decompress your files for whole c:\ f.ex

goto start\Run\ type cmd.exe hit enter.

goto c:\ (root folder) and type this

compact /U /S /A /I /Q

And have a really good laugh while you can, i cracked myself up over this one way back in the good old days, some of them.

USA IQ, i wonder where they take it from, that is microsoft.

Good one. Happy defragging m8!

Thanks TranceEnergy.

Kinda spooks me how I have no control with JkDefrag. Start the prog and it just takes off. Any good programs you (anyone) can suggest that has a nice GUI like the Windows version of defrag?

Thanks TranceEnergy.

Kinda spooks me how I have no control with JkDefrag. Start the prog and it just takes off. Any good programs you (anyone) can suggest that has a nice GUI like the Windows version of defrag?

free defragger

www.iobit.com

just google JKdefrag gui. I actually dont use the gui version, i find the defaults quite satisfactory, and whenever i need to take off or so i can just start the program and dont need to do anything else. For me thats perfect, dont have to think more of it. And time saved!

Total profit in my book.

• 3 weeks later...