Problem please help

i modded my start up screen ,changed the default user pictures & wallpapers and added some new sidebar gadgets,Now When I start up notepad opens with this message.

"[.ShellClassInfo]LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21799.)

Can anyone tell me how to stop this happening?

1stscreen.jpg

Capture1.jpg

Capture3.jpg

Capture6.jpg

Thanks as allways Buster67

spwizimg.dll is located in 5 places on an extracted WinVista SP1 cd:

1. ".\Sources\"

2. In install.wim - "%windir%\System32\"

3. In install.wim - "%windir%\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-s..on-wizard-framework....6.0.6000.16386_none_b652e536179397f"

4. In install.wim - "%windir%\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-s..on-wizard-framework....6.0.6001.18000_none_b41c233a548e28ab"

5. "\.Sources\Support\MIGWIX"

I've edited the appropriate .bmp resources in EVERY spwizimg.dll in ALL locations using reshack, and none of the install screen .bmps are changing. I've made sure that the .bmp files I am using to replace are the EXACT same resolution as the ones ialready in the .dll file.

Are there any more copies that also need to get edited? What program are you using to edit and replace .bmps in the .dll file? You are replacing them with 24-bit .bmps, right? Did you do anything special to get the images to appear?\

Edited by radigast

Change only this one :

2. In install.wim - "%windir%\System32\"

I have changed this one, and only ever see my images after the computer has restarted and begins reading off the hard drive. I want to see them both when Vista installs from the DVD and when it restarts and finishes installing off my hard drive.

Where are the ones that are read off of the DVD during the install? I have scoured boot.wim, but that doesn't have spwizimg.dll.

Edited by radigast

What file did you edit in order to change the "Install Windows" and "Checking Performance" screen?

The "Checking Performance" screen? is located

windows\system32\oobe\OOBEResources.dll

• 1 month later...

I modded all the files which are in sources directory.....but after restarting....the default background image only appearing again......anyone please help me.....by the way....u guys know?...how to change the windows edition name in system properties?.....right now i'm using home premium....but i want to change this edition name to vista ultimate....anyone know where to change this one....? please anyone help me with these two matters...Thank you

To change edition name you have to edit the basebrd.dll this can be found in the install.wim

You have to mount your wim file first.

Mount\Windows\Branding\Basebrd\en-US\basebrd.dll.mui

Did you edit the files in the .wim files ?

Edited by Buster67

s dude.....i mounted that file....and changed other files like welcome center, imageres.dll.....like that....but i cannot able to change the windows edition name which is appearing system properties...and not in login screen......i want to change only in system properties....by the way tell me....which file i have to modify to change the setup background image.....?....Thanx in advance...

To modify the background image you have to edit the spwizimg.dll file this file is in four different places.

They are at the root of your disk in boot.wim & install.wim

1.@ the root of your disk is Support\migwiz\spwizimg.dll

2.@ the root of your disk is\sources\spwizimg.dll

3. install.wim-mount\windows\system32\spwizimg.dll

4. boot.wim - mount\sources\spwizimg.dll

As is said before to edit the windows edition name this can be found @ Mount\Windows\Branding\Basebrd\en-US\basebrd.dll.mui

Capture99.jpg

Edited by Buster67