Need some help

malik22

Hi guys

I have vlited my vista 64 SP1 and have a couple of things I wasnt sure on removing maybe you guys can help

I have a nikon coolpix digital camera do I need to keep these

Windows image acquistion

Windows portable devices

Windows photo gallery

And is DNS client needed for the internet to work?

I have already removed Component cache and I read windows update wont work so I might aswell remove the windows update service correct.

I use Diskeeper do I need to keep event log?

Thx in advance

Hi guys

I have vlited my vista 64 SP1 and have a couple of things I wasnt sure on removing maybe you guys can help

I have a nikon coolpix digital camera do I need to keep these

Windows image acquistion

Windows portable devices

Windows photo gallery

I have already removed Component cache and I read windows update wont work so I might aswell remove the windows update service correct.

I use Diskeeper do I need to keep event log?

Thx in advance

Yes.Keep the first three to be able to properly connect your camera.

Not sure about DNS.

I use diskeeper too.Havent ever removed event log(too useful for debugging).So cant comment on that.Youre problably right about Windows Update.Also note that with WinSxS removed you cant install standalone updates(.msu packages)

What are msu packages services packs?

No.The updates you manually download from Microsoft Download Center are in .msu format and with WinSxS removed installation of these is broken(not possible...exits with error).

Yes, you need to have the Event Log Service running (left on automatic) to be able to use Diskeeper.

In any case, turning ELS off will not get you any noticeable performance benefit, as it takes up hardly any CPU time and memory.

My approach is to not disable any service unless it specifically gives trouble or eats up too much in the way of resources. I too hate resource hogs. In fact, Diskeeper itself runs as a service, but barely takes up any resources ..quite amazing considering what it does...a very tightly written program IMO.

BTW, is there any advantage in connecting the camera directly to the PC for file transfers? I haven't gone that route in a while....I always use an SD card reader...seems to be much faster that way.

If you configure manual static ip adress you can remove dhcp/dns. I wouldnt remove dns and dhcp if you use it on a laptop f.ex

and usually keep changing to different networks. Would only make life unnecessary difficult.

For home usage, same adsl modem, everything static, no reasion to keep it unless u cba to set manual ip adresses.