Abiword no longer for 9x/ME

Steven W

http://www.abisource.com/release-notes/2.6.3.phtml

Note for Windows 95, 98 and ME users: AbiWord 2.6 is currently not available for your operating system. Please continue using AbiWord 2.4.6 instead.

I'm reading OpenOffice.org 3.0 will no longer support these systems either.

*sigh*

Is this a big release? if its jsut a bug fix, then I assume it's just a little line of code preventing it form being run on 9x-ME system.

Though saying that, its open source so there is no stopping us making it work our selves.

I was unable to find any confirmation of the fact the OO 3 does not supports Windows 98.

On the other hand some download centers are telling it supports Windows 95 as well.???

I actually think that 2.46 runs better than 2.6x, so I don't think its a big loss. 2.63 still needs some work, I would still call it a beta release. 2.60/1/2 had some really big bugs.

I was unable to find any confirmation of the fact the OO 3 does not supports Windows 98.

On the other hand some download centers are telling it supports Windows 95 as well.???

Here you go:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OOoRelease30_Readme

System requirements

* Microsoft 2000, XP or Vista

* Pentium compatible PC

* 256 MB RAM (512 MB RAM recommended)

* 650 MB including Sun JRE (Chinese, Japanese, and Korean versions: 700 MB, multi-language version: 750 MB) available hard disk space during installation

* 500 MB Disk space needed after installation is complete when deleting temporary installer files.

* 800x600 resolution or higher, at least 256 colors

I didn't realize that Abiword depends on GTK+. Perhaps UberKern/KernelEX will provide hope.

hopefully. I prefer M$ word to abiword, but since I don't have M$ Word, I need to use free software, and I find Windows AbiWord to be far better than Windows OpenOffice. I don't mind OpenOffice on Linux, though, usually.

Here you go:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OOoRelease30_Readme

System requirements

* Microsoft 2000, XP or Vista

* Pentium compatible PC

* 256 MB RAM (512 MB RAM recommended)

* 650 MB including Sun JRE (Chinese, Japanese, and Korean versions: 700 MB, multi-language version: 750 MB) available hard disk space during installation

* 500 MB Disk space needed after installation is complete when deleting temporary installer files.

* 800x600 resolution or higher, at least 256 colors

+ http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/...

Gimp 2.2.17 and OO 2.4 closed way ?

• 6 months later...

Anyone had luck getting AbiWord 2.6 running on Win 9x/ME? I tried AbiWord 2.6.5 with KernelEx 0.3.6, but receive a "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error". If KernelEx was able to make OpenOffice 3.0 work, I thought maybe there might be a trick to make AbiWord 2.6 work (?).

I feel happy for as long as the old programs and the old drivers keep being available.

In the old times "new" meant always better for the user, but today you never know the reason hidden behind many "improvements". In fact, when working with Windows 98 I always prefer any old version made before 2007 than the new ones.

There are many interests in forcing Windows 98 users, and very soon also Windows XP users, to throw away their machines and buy and buy and buy.... Business is business.

Another piece of software bites the dust. Oh well...

I've always had mixed feelings about AbiWord itself: I find it a more polished program than OpenOffice.org, but its lack of a proper MDI is awkward. As far as word processors go, I personally stick with WordPerfect 7 when I can get away with it...