(URGENT)Suggestions for DIsk Imaging software

kunal2sh

Hello,

This is my situation:

I have one 40 GB HD. I just reinstalled Xp.

Since i love my XP the way it is now. I want a Disk Imaging software that can make a image of the HArd drive.

I would love this image to fit on a CD or 1 DVD.

So that when i get a prob i just restore to my image from the dvd.

Any suggestions. I dont mind if it is shareware.

I've tried Acronis True Image Home, but it doesn't seem to do what I want. You should try Symantec Norton Ghost, that's supposed to be pretty good. I don't think you're going to get a 40GB HD on 1 DVD, maybe 3 or 4.

I've used acronis true image and it works great if you want to do an image of a partition onto another HDD, but not sure about to DVD?

I have heard of Norton Ghost but to be honest I'm not a fan of Norton at all!

I just had a google and according to their website, acronis can do a compressed image to CD or DVD., There is also a freeware app I came accross called Self Image can't vouch for it though and I'm not sure if you can burn to DVD?

Edited by JedMeister

i thought i could compress my HD to one DVD

Only the actual data is put in the image, and it is compressed as well. So for a typical XP system, 2 or 3 Gig for a start or up to 7Gig, that would fit on a 4.7DVD. Deleting the page file before making the image, if you have the technical possibility, is also a gain of space.

So what software can i use. Coz i want a software that has both the Image and Bootabale Files in 1 DVD

As has already been mentioned, Acronis True Image Home has worked well for me in the past.

So what software can i use. Coz i want a software that has both the Image and Bootabale Files in 1 DVD

imagex.exe and WinPE 2.0. Both available from the freely downloadable Vista WAIK. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...a5-5b50c657de08 one big thing, 1375 MB.

imagex.exe is a command-line tool, however, there are already GUI wrappers like GImageX

The ability to get everything on one DVD will depend on how much you have on your harddrive, simple as that. If your install source was fully updated (slipstreamed) and you don't have a bunch of music or files on your C: partition, then it shouldn't be a problem.

If you installed from an SP2 disk and ran updates after installation and/or have a decent amount of apps installed and files saved to the disk, then your chances get less and less. Most good imaging software won't copy the pagefile to the image, probably not the hibernation file either, but may want to turn that off just to be sure.

I've used this app before with a bit of success

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-dos.htm

Thanks for fast reply guys...i thot i could compress my HD to one DVD....has anyone done it before?? I remember back in the day it was possible with Windows 98

Yeah...Windows 98 took up MUCH less harddrive space than windows XP!

Edited by TheFlash428