uTorrent Slows Down My Internet Connection

whenever I have uTorrent open it slows down my 5mbps cable connection to a crawl and its really annoying. I've read stuff on their wiki and tried all of the suggestions, such as limiting global connections to 200 (since my router, a linksys BEFSR41, was on their list of problem causing hardware) limiting the upload speed, etc... I've patched my tcpip.sys, turned UPnP off in both uTorrent and the router, limited it to one download at a time and nothing seems to help. anyone have suggestions for this because it slows down my father's computer also.

yea utorrent is downloading stuff anywhere from 1 to 6 torrents, the number of torrents doesnt seem to make a difference. the torrents are going unusually slow the most i think ive ever gotten was around 60-70 kB/sec, but then again I tried directly connecting to the modem and the speeds were the same. I guess theyre just crappy torrents even though some of them have 20 or so seeds and sometimes 260 peers.

I disabled UPnP in uTorrent but didnt see a section for disabling UPnP in the router config, only spaces to make your own listings (it was a button labeled "UPnP" under port forwarding). I didnt check to see how slow the connection was when I was directly connected and running uTorrent though, I should probably check that out. any suggestions for a good wired router? I have no need for Wi-Fi.

I'd go for the Linksys WRT54GL. It has wireless (which can be nice in case you have friends over with wireless notebooks, etc) and it works well. I personally use the Tomato firmware which really makes it a perfect router.

http://www.msfn.org/board/Experiencing-uto...th-t117993.html

who's your ISP? they could be throttling you're entire connection if it sees p2p apps running

nowdays almost all ISP throttle you're entire connection if they see any p2p apps running. my advice is if your tcp connection is not patched, then patch your tcp connection and more importantly avoid using p2p apps in peak hours

i have comcast and i use the encryption function in utorrent, i had a wrt54g but i broke it earlier in the year somehow so i just got this one off of ebay for cheap, i was kinda thinking about getting a new one but i have a lot of other stuff to pay for first.

it doesnt seem to be the router, im directly connected to the modem and it still took about 5-6 seconds to load this page, it usually takes a lot less time and the torrent speeds are still crappy.

*edit* maybe it was the router, after I made this post it seemed to load pages like normal, even though two torrents were downloading (still only about 15kB/sec), can anyone recommend a good router to avoid this? I had the same problems with my WRT54G and still when i flashed it with thibor.

Edited by Brando569

If you think your ISP is throttling your line, try turning on encryption in Utorrent.

if it doesent help, id leave it turned on anyway, then they dont know WHAT you are downloading at least.

i did have it on and i read somewhere that comcast is actually going to do a complete 180 and actually support bit torrent (not throttling DL speeds)

I'll believe it when i see it. Comcast is very good about saying one thing, but doing something completely different