what is your smallest disk install of xp

divi2323

Came across nLite the other day and i'm blown away at how far along it is in its development. This is a must have tool for system builders like myself.

I ran across it by looking for ways to get windows xp dumped and configured into an embedded device or super small computer.

I gave it a shot last night and today's installation was 1.2gb in size on the disk. pretty good, but I thought I could do better. this 1.2gb size, i'll add, was 460mb of operating system and 768mb of swap file. disabling paging file on it brought it in at 460 and i'm quite happy with this.

I was wondering what everyone else was able to get their installations down to? I'm sure you could strip everything out, but my build included wireless networking and other things I deemed necessary.

I'd like to hear your experiences. If you could break them out by OS space and swap space, that would be good.

Which tweak are you referring to?

I typically remove ctfmon.exe from any startup entries using Autoruns, however I have not performed any post-installation modifications yet.

In addition, I believe it may be required for the language bar to function (Japanese input).

Cheers,

James

x

Here is a shot of an XP-SP3 installation that I am playing with in VirtualBox. Note that I have disabled the pagefile.

xpsp3vboxpj0.th.png

Cheers,

James

x

care to upload a last session.ini or was there also a lot of manual editing done?