need to paint black SONY satellite speakers to white...

ceez

hey guys, I have a sony sound system and I want to paint two of the satellite speakers white because I want them to blend in with the wall instead of 2 black "dots" suspended in mid air! :(

The ones I have are similar to this guy that's selling over at ebay (NOTE I am not selling them, this is the closest image I could find to my speakers).

Anyways, mine are black and need to paint them black, the surface is smooth plastic and I can just buy white grill cloth to cover the grill. I was thinking maybe some printer in spray paint form and then the white also in spray paint? Should I sand them?

Any advice from your computer case modders would be appreciated :)

Thanks alot everyone,

Ceez

:thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

Since you want them white or black (I'm a bit confused exactly what you want after reading the 3rd paragraph...),

you won't need to go crazy trying to get a mirror shine on it. Krylon paint for plastics would probably be your best bet. It bonds very well and is durable.

A few important pointers.....

1.Prep is key to all paint jobs! 98% of painting is prepping. Make sure you tape of and cover what will not be painted. Do what the can says for cleaning the plastic. The paint will bond to the plastic so there should be no need to scuff up the speakers as long as they are clean.

2. Be extra diligent spraying several light coats. You must resist the urge to do 'touch ups' right after you spray or else you will get runs in the paint. Also, make sure you spray across in a straight line. Try not to 'arc' as you spray.

(If you use a spray paint that isn't made for plastics, the whole process can become a chore. Takes lots of time and to do it right, requires more $ for adhesion promoters and supplies.)

However, I prefer to use TopFlite Monokote. http://www.monokote.com/

It's a film that is mainly used on model airplanes. It comes in several colors and is extremely durable.

All you need is a iron and a hairdryer and you can stretch it to cover most anything.

I used this quite a bit back in the day when I was modding X-BOX's for people.

-It looks cleaner than most paint job's (esp. the silver color. It literally provides a mirror finish).

-There is no mess or chemicals and you can handle you project immediately.

-It bonds permanently with plastic.

Monokote is by far more resistant to 'wear and tear' damage compared to paint. (You can use it for things like game controllers and it won't rub off or get nasty.) However paint will look better when / if damage sets in.

You can get a roll of Monokote at hobby shops or online. A roll should run ~$20 and will cover a pretty large surface area. Should be more than enough for 2 speakers. (Most hobby shops can cut you smaller sheets if you don't want a full roll..

Hope fun!

Edited by LiquidSage

liquidsage, thanks for your excellent advise on getting them painted...and yeah, i want them white..... :)

that monokote products looks like an easy alternative, wrap the speakers in it and wallah! done. hopefully it's not easier said than done!

thanks again for your input

ceez

:thumbup