Adobe Reader 8.1 in Windows 98

Sfor

The newest Polish goverment electronical tax declaration service requires Adobe Reader 8.1 to be used. I'm trying to explore the possibility of running it on the Windows 98 comuters.

Has anyome run the Adobe Reader 8.1 with KernelEx?

-----------------

I have installed the KernelEx. Now, I'm trying to install the Acrobat Reader 8.1.2.

I was able to trick the installer with the KEXVER.INI setting. The installer runs, but there are nothing except for the progress bar in the window titled NOSSO® 1.0. Then a dialog is displayed:

This version of Internet Explorer is not supported. You should upgrade Internet Explorer to version 6.0.2600.0 and run setup again. Setup will now terminate.

Luckily I've found the installation files extracted in the temporary folder. There is a AcroRead.msi file in it. I'll try to get around the problem, somehow.

Oh, closing the error message dialog will delete the installation files, instantly. So, it is necesary to make a copy of them before terminating the installation.

----------------------------------------

The most funny thing is, I have a 6.0.2800.1106 IE version istalled.

When I'm trying to run the AcroRead.msi file directly, it says I do not have a proper installer version in my system.

Edited by Sfor

My mistake was the installation of the KernelEx 0.3.3a. After installing 0.3.3e the AR installer works much better. The first window with a progress bar now shows much more informations. The missing part in the KernelEx 0.3.3a is the unicode translation, and not blocked platform check calls.

But, another problem emerged. The AR installer downloads a Microsoft Installer 3 package and tries to update the system. The result of running the downloaded package is stopping of the installation procedure without any message.

When I'm trying to run the downloaded WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe file it just says there is an export routine missing NTDLL.DLL:NtOpenProcessToken.

-------------------------------------------

I've removed the MSI update entry URL in the setup.ini file. The instaler does not download the MSI update any more. It displays "MSI version 3.0 is required, but update is not available", instead.

So, I've removed the "RequireMSI=3.0" line from the setup.ini file. Now, the installation ends with a dialog saying there is no access to the windows installer.

So, I've stuck on the MSI 3.0 service requirement.

Edited by Sfor

I think this may be an insoluble problem if that msi package really does need version 3 of the Windows Installer.

I don't think anyone has hacked MSI 3 to work on Windows 98.

:no:

why do you guys need that bloated crappy Adobe Reader 8.1? :angry:

you need Win2000 or better to use that, so forget using that bloated Adobe app under Win98

and each major version of Adobe Reader is starting to get more bloated and require newer versions of Windows

and MSI Windows Installer 3.x will NEVER work under Win98, even with KernelEx

Consider using either Sumatra PDF or FoxIt Reader to view PDF files. These lightweight PDF programs work under Win98/ME and take up much less disk space & use less memory.

Edited by erpdude8

Why I need Adobr Reader 8.1? Because, I have to open some PDF files designed to work in the Adobe Reader 8.1. I was unable to open those files in Adobe Reader 6, Foxit Reader and Sumatra PDF.