4GB problem in WS x32 Enterprise

rebelo

Hi there,

I'm running WS2008-x64 for non-critical use and recently tested the x32 version. Tried to use the Enterprise Edition x32, since it's said that it can "see" 4GB while the Standard Edition cannot. However, even with Enterprise the task manager reports less than 4GB.

In any x64 edition, of course it reads correctly 4094 in task manager. In x32, it reads only 3400 or something around that number. Has anyone faced this problem?

Before someone asks, I wish to use Enterprise x32 for a while and see how it fits my needs instead of an x64 system. As I said, it's a non-critical system as for now.

Thanks in advance.

Enterprise x32 version is supposed to handle 8 Gb RAM, at least according to the system specs.

Yeah, with the /PAE switch in boot.ini. However, if the BIOS reserves memory BEFORE the operating system boots, it won't be visible or available to the OS no matter what.

Server 2008 x64 should see all 4 gigs fine. I run server2008 x64 at home with 4 gigs of ram and it shows all 4 gigs without any problems. I've never used any switches such as /pae to get it to work.

What does it report for the ram? Remember some onboard components might use ram, which may cause windows to see less.

-gosh

• 2 weeks later...
Server 2008 x64 should see all 4 gigs fine. I run server2008 x64 at home with 4 gigs of ram and it shows all 4 gigs without any problems. I've never used any switches such as /pae to get it to work.

What does it report for the ram? Remember some onboard components might use ram, which may cause windows to see less.

-gosh

Typically x64 can see more than 3.2GB of RAM so you wouldn't need to use any switch. x86 cannot "see" more than 3.2GB in most cases.

• 1 month later...

Oddly enough, 2000 Server and Server 2003 Standard (both x86) can see the full 4 GB of RAM on most Dell PowerEdge boxes.

I heard that the less than 4 GB issue is due to a crippling of PAE to make DEP work in 32-bit...starting with XP Service Pack 2, so I guess any flavor of Windows NT 6.0--Vista and Server 2008 suffer from this.

In any case, avoid the whole mess and use x64. :) If you ever plan on running Exchange 2007 on that box, you'll have to anyway! :)