Context Menu Customizer Hta

Context Menu Customizer Hta version 0.5 Beta

by Fredledingue

-Add, remove, edit items from the context menu (right-click in Windows Explorer) for a filetype or a file extention, drives and folders.

-Add, remove, edit Fast Explorer items in the context menu (if the component {included} is installed).

-Add in the context menu, vb scripts processing the file selection (if the component is installed and if you write vb scripts).

-Modify basic settings for the file type (icon, double-click/open program, caption).

-Interface designed to be as easy as possible

-Freeware

v0.5: Adapted to Regedit 5 (XP, maybe Vista...)

Edited by Fredledingue

• 2 weeks later...

Looks promising, though I haven't had a chance to test it out yet...

I'm especially looking forwards to using the removal feature, since my context menu always seems to be cluttered with options I don't need.

• 1 month later...

version 0.3 released:

-Fixed item display bug when the item command line doesnt' contain "C:\\".

-Fixed error when extention has no icon set at all, not even a default one.

-Fixed fastExplorer.ini not found or empty while it's not the case

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Does anybody use it?

I'v tried on an old laptop with a very non-regular w98se + uSP install and it didn't work due to bugs, failures or wrong versions of WSH, VBscript or mshta. Possibly due to language issues or character sets.

However I'm working on a version compatible with windows XP (boo!) and the pre-release version already works.

Edited by Fredledingue

Ho! Eidenk, what did you eat today? If you are not interrested why do you even read this thread?

Context Menu Customizer.Hta is not buggy nor ugly. It's neat and easy.

As soon as I have time, I'll release a package of extras to apply with CMC's "Add Script" option. The goal is to create a script-enhanced OS. :hello:

Ho! Eidenk, what did you eat today? If you are not interrested why do you even read this thread?

Context Menu Customizer.Hta is not buggy nor ugly. It's neat and easy.

As soon as I have time, I'll release a package of extras to apply with CMC's "Add Script" option. The goal is to create a script-enhanced OS. :hello:

Today I ate some toasted sandwiches with molten cheese and bacon (mmmh) as well as half a kebab and chips and a fruit salad so far.

Don't take badly what I am saying to you, you said it yourself in a post above that it is buggy no ? So how can you expect people to use it ?

As for ugly, well it is, I am sorry. Make a poll if you want to be sure about it.

HTA apps can be made to look just like plain win32 apps with not too much effort. And they are much neater, leaner, smaller after that IMO even though their functionality is not affected by the cosmetic change. Take this as constructive criticism please.

Anyway good luck with your script-enhanced OS project.

The bug I wrote about is not a bug in my script but a bug in the script engine installed on a certain computer, probably a wrong version of WSH, and I wanted to know if other users have faced this problem or if it's a rare occurence. The bug affect every scripts, it's only more obvious with this one.

Ugly? If you call "ugly" the absence of a "skin", then you are right. Personaly I don't find it uglier than, say, WAssociate. I don't think easthetic is that important for such application.

Doing an Hta realy looking like a plain executable with menus, tabs etc is much more difficult than you think, and an invitation for more bugs and errors.

I don't want to do that. I don't think Hta developers should seek that. Making it "easy to read" has already been enough of work and tests. It's not like I didn't do anything.

But I agree that I could do something, like colored buttons etc. If you want. ;)

I don't know what you mean by "smaller" after a cosmetic change.

If it's size on screen, the interface appears exactely as I want it to be: Full screen. I don't want it to be a little widget window.

If it size in bytes, it will be only bigger.

I meant smaller in size on screen obviously. Here you can see a template/skeleton HTA app I wrote to cater for my need of organizing the many shortcuts to applications I have and use, etc... As you can see it has several pages, each having several tabs, uses MS Sans Serif as font, uses the default system colors for a seamles visual integration into the system I use.

snap0366ik1.png

Yeah cool! I like all those little icons. Do you use frames? I'm curious because I never found out how to do that in hta. Could you post the code of this template?

Yet, for the context menu customizer, I'm happy with the current layout.

Frames could help me keeping the main buttons visible while scrolling through the list thought. I don't know if it's possible because theoricaly, each frame should work as a separate application.

Bad news with the promising XP version: Many more exotic expressions in the hkcr keys than I thought. Still working on it.

Yeah cool! I like all those little icons. Do you use frames? I'm curious because I never found out how to do that in hta. Could you post the code of this template?

Frames could help me keeping the main buttons visible while scrolling through the list thought. I don't know if it's possible because theoricaly, each frame should work as a separate application.

Yeah, the HTA file is actually only a frameset containing 2 html frames. And behind there is loads of html files, one for each page and then one for each tab within each page so it is not all self-contained in one single hta file as you've guessed.

Tabs and buttons are simply made using html tables.

I'll release the app sometimes this week so you'll be able to have a look at how it's done precisely.

Nothing complicated, certainly less complicated than scripting, well at least for me.