Unexperienced BSOD

premier69

During the past 2 nights since i installed Windows i have left my computer running during night time and have both past mornings been greeted by this message:

Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1053

Additional information about the problem:

BCCocde 116

BCP1: FFFFFA800521E4E0

BCP2: FFFFFA6003A11860

BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A

BCP4: 0000000000000004

OS Version:

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini051808-02.dmp

C:\Users\premier69\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-49530-0.sysdata.xml

C:\Users\premier69\AppData\Local\Temp\WERC908.tmp.version.txt

Read our privacy statement:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=501...mp;clcid=0x0409

So, what does this mean?

Actually, this is one where the bugcheck description is probably enough to determine the problem:

Bug Check 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
The VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000116. This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

Parameters
The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen.

Parameter Description
1 The pointer to the internal TDR recovery context, if available.
2 A pointer into the responsible device driver module (for example, the owner tag).
3 The error code of the last failed operation, if available.
4 Reserved.

I'd say you've got a video driver problem...

Actually, this is one where the bugcheck description is probably enough to determine the problem:

Bug Check 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
The VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000116. This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

Parameters
The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen.

Parameter Description
1 The pointer to the internal TDR recovery context, if available.
2 A pointer into the responsible device driver module (for example, the owner tag).
3 The error code of the last failed operation, if available.
4 Reserved.

I'd say you've got a video driver problem...

i did update the video driver which seems to have helped, its been 3 days of uptime now (record!!!) and it seems to have fixed it.

do you guys have any good source of material to teach how to analyze error reports from full dumps etc?

do you guys have any good source of material to teach how to analyze error reports from full dumps etc?
Well, knowing C and C++ programming concepts (and having done it for awhile) is a definite help, since most of the code you analyze is in C/C++ (if you plan on debugging things in .net languages, for example, knowing the language and concepts will help there as well obviously). On top of that, understanding the structure of a process or the kernel in Windows and how the memory manager works are both quite important (Windows Internals 4th Edition). After that, debugging concepts and procedures can be picked up from a few places (including practice), but a good book is Advanced Windows Debugging.

Also, the most important things to remember is that debugging takes practice, understanding of how what you are debugging works (otherwise, you won't recognize "not working"), and knowing that sometimes there's more art than science to debugging.

I see, i will check out your referred links.

I know nothing about programing but thats another step in my learning so might as well be sooner rather than later,having practical use for the knowledge will help motivate, thank you.