What you need to backup DVDs

njven

Making backups of DVDs is legal in most countries as long as there for personal use only. This guide will state a few different methods one might use.

Method 1: (Free)

DVD Decrypter

Auto GK

Download Auto Gordian Knot and DVD Decrypter. Open DVD Decrypter and save the decrypted DVD somewhere on your hard drive. Next, open Auto GK and select the VTS_01_0.ifo file. Normally, that contains the movie files. Select the language and also audio and subtitle options. Configure the size you want the end product. Make sure you have an output file selected and add the job to que and start.

Method 2: (Free)

DVD Decrypter

HandBrake

Decrypt the DVD as in method one, but this time open HandBrake and select the folder with the decrypted DVD. Configure size and codecs. There are also presets for portable devices.

Method 3: (Free)

DVD Shrink

You can use DVD Shrink by itself to open a DVD, remove certain features, remove protection placed on the DVD, then save it to a location.

Method 4: ($75) =(X)

AnyDVD

HandBrake

AnyDVD will automatically decrypt a DVD when you put it in your computer. You can then use HandBrake to rip it.

Method 5: ($75)

AnyDVD

Auto GK

This you basically just do the same thing as method 1, but AnyDVD decrypts it instead of DVD Decrypter.

Programs and Functions:

AnyDVD - Decrypt DVDs almost instantly without copying large files

Auto Gordian Knot - A GUI making it easier to rip DVDs (contains many different tools)

DVD Shrink - Copy DVDs, decrypt them and also shrink there source

DVD Decrypter - Copy the files of a DVD to your hard drive without the copy protection

HandBrake - Convert DVD files and other media files to single file videos such as avi and mpeg

Magic DVD Ripper - An easy to use program for ripping DVDs to single media files

Where to find programs

AnyDVD

AutoGK

DVD Shrink - Official Website Download

DVD Decrypter

HandBrake

Magic DVD Ripper

Pros and Cons:

AutoGK vs. HandBrake
AutoGK - More Reliable (in my opinion), simple inferface, more control over subtitles; audio and video,
HandBrake - More formats, more platforms, presets for popular devices

DVD Decrypter vs. AnyDVD
AnyDVD - $75, almost instant, no need for dvd copy, possibly decrypt more types of protection, automatic
DVD Decrypter - Free, must copy DVD to hard drive, must configure options

Edited by njven

• 1 year later...

Which is the best for producing the highest quality single file output? Cost is not really a deciding factor unless its hundreds of dollars, lol. :D

Prefer actual experience with recommended program. I don't have a ton of DVD's and just looking to use mp4 or avi files so I can leave the DVD in the case and free of harm. ;)

Well if you wanted 1:1 quality you would not transcode.

If you want to know what is considered the best quality encoder right now I believe it is x264, but it is more cpu intensive to encode and decode than lower quality formats.

I recommend Handbrake.