How to remove KB923191 hotfix from XP-SP3

BubbleBobble

Hi everybody!

that's my first post and, first of all, I'm from Italy, so sorry for my english! :rolleyes:

I have 3 Pc (Xp Pro and XpHome) and this always happens:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917556/en-us

That' because all of my users have a password

So, since I think that at 99% the bug is due to KB923191 hotfix,

I would be thankful if anyone knows how to remove it from XP-SP3.

I know how to manually integrate Xp-Sp3 to my Xp-Sp2 files (from command Dos Prompt).

And, of course, I have the possibility to get unpatched files from Xp-Sp2 Cd... so that I can replace them after XP-SP3 integration...

But I don't know what to replace and exspecially I'm a little concerned about the reg entries into the Registry...

So what to do?

:)

Edited by BubbleBobble

Well, technically you wouldn't remove it, per se, but you could conceivably replace the file(s) on the SP3 disk with SP2 versions.

Does this happen if you install XP (either RTM or SP2) and upgrade to SP3?

In the meantime you could use the workaround, namely use the classic login. Either just <Ctrl><Alt><Del> twice each time, or to set XP to use the classic login window by default follow these steps:

To configure Windows XP to use the classic logon and shutdown screens for every logon session, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. Double-click User Accounts.

3. Click Change the way users log on or off.

4. Clear the Use the Welcome screen check box.

Well, technically you wouldn't remove it, per se, but you could conceivably replace the file(s) on the SP3 disk with SP2 versions.

Yes I think that's the way ;)

...but how?

Does this happen if you install XP (either RTM or SP2) and upgrade to SP3?

I have regoular XP-SP2 cd (Home and Pro) without the patch KB923191 (got them before the release of KB923191).

So if I don't install KB923191, the bug doesn't occour. If I install the hotfix, the bug usually happens.

It happens also if I install Xp-sp3 from setup (obvious, the patch is included in xp-sp3).

Well, the only thing I've not still tried is to do a clean install with xp-sp2 cd slipstreamed to xp-sp3 (integration).

But I don't think that will work, because at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917556/en-us the issue is still "to patch" and not fir e.g. "patched with Xp-Sp3" :(

In the meantime you could use the workaround, namely use the classic login. Either just <Ctrl><Alt><Del> twice each time, or to set XP to use the classic login window by default

Yes, thank you anyway! There are also other solutions (regsvr32 shgina.dll ecc.), I've tried them all, but doesn't work.

The fact is that I'm not the only user of the 3 Pcs, and the other people are very very newbies and they don't know how to do with ctrl+alt+canc and so on...

So I prefer to uninstall (or not install) the update, rather than hearing everytime "Hey! this Pc is locked! I cannot type my password!" :P

thank you all for the answers... still waiting for some other solution... :)

ok maybe this will work:

from a xp-sp2 cd without the integration of KB923191 hotfix I have to copy in the same directory fo an xp-sp3 integrated cd these files:

\I386

COMCTL32.DL_

\I386\asms\60\msft\windows\common\controls

comctl32.dll

controls.cat

controls.man

\I386\asms\60\policy\60\comctl

comctl.cat

comctl.man

hope will work, I'll tell you soon, bye :)

Check the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify for keys that lead to removed/non-existing or disabled services. In my case AtiExtEvent key caused all the trouble, not any of the file versions in the hotfixes.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem on my XP Home SP2 system, upgraded to SP3 problem followed.

Searched internet for fixes, read about KB923191 but it was not located in my Add/Remove Programs:

Went to windows explorer and performed a search for KB923191

I found a log file with install errors, then went into Windows folder and searched uninstall folders until I found the service pack uninstall program located in:

"C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB923191$\spuninst\"

Logged in as an administrator on the PC.

I ran spuninst.exe

These are system folders, so you may have open Windows Explorer select "Tools/Folder Options/View/Hidden Files and Folders" set to "Show hidden files and folders" to see them.

Deselect "Hide protected operating system files [Recommended]"

Select [Apply to all folders]

Locate the service pack uninstall directory in the Windows folder.

Run the spuninst.exe program. Restart the PC.

I hope it works for you. :thumbup

P.S. Don't forget to return the OS files and folders to hidden if desired.

Edited by Ol'Dewd