Renaming /WINDOWS folder & subfolders

klerg

Like the title says, is there a way to rename the /WINDOWS (sometimes called"%WINDIR") directory and subdirectories? I'd also like to know how in Win 9x, too. Thanks.

Like the title says, is there a way to rename the /WINDOWS (sometimes called"%WINDIR") directory and subdirectories? I'd also like to know how in Win 9x, too. Thanks.

Short answer: No.

Even if you started from a WinPE CD which would allow you to rename the directories, your Windows installation would be screwed because there are just too many references in the registry and elsewhere which point to this directory.

long answer:yes

but you have to make unattende disc(your xp cd) and you can there change the name of win folder or prgram files folder

try to read msfn xp unattended guide...!winnt.sif!....

but you have to make unattende disc(your xp cd) and you can there change the name of win folder or prgram files folder

I believe he was referring to an existing installation.

I know that the directory name can be changed before the installation.

I believe he was referring to an existing installation.

I know that the directory name can be changed before the installation.

oh, existing?for windir im not shure, but for others system folders(not for all) theres a way to do manual by regedit after normal instalation -im shure.But if you have time -

try

Is it possible? Yeah.

Is it easy? No.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely not.

Are you more likely to just screw everything up than actually accomplish what you're trying to do? Yes.

I don't know off the top of my head how to do this and provide instructions in this post--but I've seen this tried before. I'm sure if you search here or on Google you can find instuctions for renaming the system folders. (BTW, %WINDIR% is an environment variable--you don't want to change that, but rather re-assign it). Fact is though, as mentioned here already, on an existing system there are so many registry entries and other settings that point to that directory that it would be a VERY tedious process to do it and get it work right. Even if you didn't screw up the computer so bad that it wouldn't boot, chances are a lot of your apps and other stuff would break, causing many headaches.

I agree, unless you change the name pre-installation, best not to change it at all!

• 2 weeks later...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you boot into a non-Windows OS (that can work with a ntfs disk, if Windows is on ntfs of course), rename the Windows directory, and create a hard_link with the name of the old directory? And everything should be OK?

I want to do that with my Program Files directory. Stupid space.

But I need to install an OS that can read ntfs first.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you boot into a non-Windows OS (that can work with a ntfs disk, if Windows is on ntfs of course), rename the Windows directory, and create a hard_link with the name of the old directory? And everything should be OK?

I want to do that with my Program Files directory. Stupid space.

But I need to install an OS that can read ntfs first.

Offtopic: you CAN do that with the "Program Files" directory. Just use quotes to enclose the full name (i.e. 'junction "C:\Program Files" c:\Apps').

However, even though that may work, it's not a workable solution... that's what I call the "Vista effect". Creating links under the old folder's name. Why? You may as well just link the existing folder to the folder name you want - it'll appear the same way (i.e. create a link to Program Files as "Apps"). If you have both folder names, all you created is clutter. In the case of Vista, no programs are even using the "Documents and Settings" folder (which I did away with in XP, a long time ago, to call it "users" like Vista), but the directory is still there anyway, pointing to "users". It just creates clutter, and unnecessary clutter at that. If all the programs are going to be using \Windows anyway, why redirect them all through a link?

Best way is just to reinstall Windows. Most settings (and references to the Windows folder name) are in the registry, and a registry search-and-replace program may accomplish that, but it's not worth the hassle. I find absolutely no reason whatsoever to go changing the name of my Windows folder... it's perfect. It's 7 letters. No spaces. No unnecessary length (a la "documents and settings"). Why change it?

Just my 2 cents, but other than some nagging quirk about the actual name of the directory, is there any reason you want to attemptthe existing system. to alter the entire system and the referenced location of all of those required files? What you're asking is entirely possible, just not by a novice and not w/o expecting the first attempt to totally trash the existing system.

If it really bugs you, I'd recommend taking the time to setup an unattended install and change the default install directory there so the entire system gets built using that reference. In the long run, it's the easiest and most efficient solution.

For me changing the folder names is just an asthetic thing. I know there is no good reason to do it, but I don't let that stop me.

That's exactly the way I think too. Heck, that's the way I learned half the things I've learned about Windows. No good reason to really try it, other than sheer curiosity. If I break it, I find a way to fix it. If I can't fix it, I chalk it up as experience gained. Finding the way to fix the problems I've created myself has helped me solve many countless thousands of computer problems over the years, both of mine and of others. :D

So tweak on!

OK. I'm convinced it's better to just do an unattended install of XP, or probably Nlite it, since that's easier/faster. But what about with Win 9x? I heard it was NOT as hard to rename the /WINDOWS there. is that right?

9x is probably even harder, since most of its settings aren't unified in (relatively) simple registry entries. Many paths are actually hard coded into configuration files. But the system itself is easier, so who knows, you might have some luck... :P