Laptops not recognizing Nlite XP disc

CBC

I have seen this happen recently on two different laptops, a Compaq & a Toshiba. 've been using Nlited dics for several years now on various desktop boxes & have NEVER had a bootup install isuue .

The lappies read & boot the disc, load in the the Windows files & I ok on the EULA screen (non-unattended) but when it should begin to load XP files up to install it keeps asking me for a Win XP Pro disc. I even put in my original vanilla XPPro SP2 disc I purchased, and same thing.

I'm trying to update an old Tosh 1755 Satellite for my boss's daughter to use, but this roadblack is stumping me.

Thanks for any ideas. burned the nlite image to CDR using IMGBurn

By the way, I have sucessfully run both Ubuntu & PCLinusOS on the same Tosh, so I am pretty sure it isn't the drive having an issue (also both burned using IMGBurn

Edited by CBC

ok, well..just now for the heck of it I stuck in an old Win ME disk I had (the laptop currently runs that OS - ugh) & lo & behold, t allowed me to continue to do the format & start the installation.

So immediate prob solved, but why the hassle with laptops & Nlited discs?

You mentioned that you're trying to "upgrade" the laptops. Do you mean you're doing a repair install? Do the laptops already have Windows installed?. This problem usually pops up when certain CD/DVD burning software alters the registry, you may or may not have heard of the "upper filters" and "lower filters" sections. Disk authoring software alters these files and shreds whenever you try to run an XP installation. You need to modify the registry to remove these entries and windows should then go through just fine.

The following link may not be 100% true to your bug, but in the past has given me the resolution to several PC's and laptops that wouldnt' do a simple repair install.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311755/en-us

The link shows you where in the registry the bugs are and how to fix them.

Otherwise, try doing a clean install from your nLite disk :D

LOL Dammit, i should learn to read, then learn to re-read, i just saw you mentioned that you weren't even getting to the format drive part, yup something was definately stopping your system from reading the disk, I wonder if it's possible that even in TXT-mode, setup still reads the existing registry for the disk :-?

Edited by Swarvey