Logitech Setpoint

Uninstalled the old driver - reboot - installed 4.60 - reboot.

Still the same sh!t :realmad:

setpoint-windows2008-x64291.png

Also, at the beginning of the installation, there's a dialog that the driver was not tested on that OS and that they recommend downloading a driver that fits to the OS.

Haha, good joke :lol: If they would offer a driver for Windows 2008 x64 specifically, I'd tried it already :angry:

Logitech Setpoint 3.1 drivers for Win2k are the only ones that i have found to work with Server 2008 without any problems, so far.

They are still available from Logitech directly.

Can't use them :no:

If they're Windows 2000 drivers, they're 32 bit only.

So I can only hope that Logitech gets their act together and releases working Win2008 x64 drivers.

It's not so much the button config I'm missing, but much more the pointer speed settings - using 1920x1200 with a pointer that moves at a slug's pace is a real pain :angry:

ok have you tried this?

http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/...;thread.id=9804

looks like its worth a try

Ok, I'll have a look.

I can already say that one of the solutions given (Zone Alarm interfering) can't apply to me since it's on a freshly installed Windows 2008 w/ no additional apps.

It can't be the Usb port either since it works fine on my XP64.

I'll have to check back w/ my Win2008 installation if there are any files missing or somesuch...

From reading all the threads dealing with it on the Logitech forum, the missing tab seems to be not uncommon at all, and appearing on all versions from Windows XP 32-bit to Windows 2008 64-bit.

I've now tried out all the possible solutions they mentioned (all with uninstall/reboot/reinstall inbetween), like install with device manager from the cddrv dir, changing around the wdf stuff (including renaming the wdf01000.sys file) and whatnot, back and forth and back again.

However, nothing of that worked, the tab stays hidden no matter what I do :angry:

I guess I'll have to wait until a proper driver for Win2008 x64 comes out, no go otherwise. As effective working isn't possible with such a slug pace pointer, I'd say that ends my trying out of Windows 2008 for now.

It's a shame that not even such elementary drivers as the mouse driver work properly... while on the whole it's a clear improvement over Vista, I guess it will still be some time until Windows 2008 is ready for prime time.

ok i broke out the ol' processmonitor and have found the settings are stored in a XML file located at

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Logitech\SetPoint\user.xml

(close Setpoint.exe before making changes, changes seem to take effect when setpoint.exe is relaunched)

the section for my MX1000 is:

--snip--
<Devices>
<Device Class="Receiver" Model="50331670">
<Param AppSpecific="1" LowBatPercentLevel="5" UserBatteryMode="0" VScrollAcceleration="0" VScrollSpeed="0" VoIPClient=""/>
<Buttons/>
</Device>
<Device DisplayName="MX 1000 Laser Mouse" Class="PointingDevice" Model="16777280" NumberOfButtons="10" ConnectionID="">
<Param ACCELERATION="2" AIRACCELERATION="4" AirSpeedX="50" AirSpeedY="50" AppSpecific="1" ButtonSwapped="0" DefaultGameModeResolutionPresets="" DefaultGameModeResolutionPresetsY="" DistinctAirCursor="1" EnableCentering="1" GameDeviceSuggestGameMode="0" GameDeviceSuggestOS="0" GameModeButtonAddGame="0" GameModeButtonResDown="0" GameModeButtonResUp="0" GameModeButtonResUpWrap="0" GameModeKeepAcceleration="1" GameModeKeepKeypress="1" GameModeKeepOther="0" GameModeKeepRightLeft="1" GameModeKeepSpeed="1" GameModeNotification="0" GameModeResolutionNbPreset="0" GameModeResolutionPresets="" GameModeResolutionPresetsY="" GameParticipate="0" GameParticipateDefault="0" GamePowerMode="0" GameReportEnabled="1" GameReportRate="2" GameResIndex="2" GameUseAdvanced="0" GamingType="0" LowBatPercentLevel="5" MenuLocBottom="-1" MenuLocLeft="-1" MenuLocRight="-1" MenuLocTop="-1" MenuSize="0" OfficePowerMode="0" ShowButtonsPage="1" SmartMove="0" SpeedX="100" SpeedY="100" StromboliMice="0" TouchPadMice="0" TrackballMice="0" Trails="0" TrailsLength="0" UserBatteryMode="0" VScrollAcceleration="0" VScrollSpeed="0" VoIPClient="" smartshiftmode="0" DPIActive="1" DPIDecreaseButtonNo="0" DPIIncreaseButtonNo="0" DPIResIndex="0" DPIResolutionPresets="" MaxGameModeResolutionXY="0"/>
<Buttons>
--snip--

all the speed settings are stored in the Param tag under Device

<Param ACCELERATION="2"

thats pointer acceleration set to medium (0=None, 1=Low, 2=Medium, 3=High)

SmartMove="0"

some are easy (SmartMove='Snap to OK Button feature') 0 is disabled, 1 is enabled

the 2 variables you are looking for are SpeedX and SpeedY

the slider with the pointer speed at maximum make the values in the file read

SpeedX="168" SpeedY="168"

the rest of the values are as follows:

• 141 (one notch below maximum)
  • 50(middle of slider)
  • 25(default)
  • 13(excruciatingly slow)
  • 9(barely functional)

other numbers could probably be substituted but setpoint will just replace them with the closest number on the list or reset them to default. also i noticed if you make the 2 numbers different, it just picks the lower number and changes the higher value to match.

i upped the entire file user.xml that includes settings for my MX1000 and MX revolution from Vista x86 incase the copy your setpoint generated is messed up if you dont have either of those mice, you might have to edit the DisplayName= or the Model= parts but i think you should be able to get it working.

if changing the settings doesnt work, i would setup vista on another computer, install setpoint, install your mouse, set the prefs, copy the user.xml to your 2008 x64 machine, restart setpoint and see if the tab is visible.

I tried out something new - I unpacked the setpoint installer and the ran setup from the "1-setpoint" subdir.

The setup seemed to run better, and in device manager I even had a Logitech entry for the first time :lol:

However, the tab is still mia, even after a reboot :o

I've then tried setting up the user.xml properly and rebooted.

Turns out it was only a partial success - the mouse pointer speed works, but the button settings don't work :no:

Still no tab as well. Well, at least the mouse is usable now.

yeah i think the buttons are translated by setpoint from their defaults into whatever they are set to each time they are pressed so it would make sense that those settings arent applied when the program starts if no devices are found. you could use a 3rd party utility like http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm to remap the buttons

yeah i think the buttons are translated by setpoint from their defaults into whatever they are set to each time they are pressed so it would make sense that those settings arent applied when the program starts if no devices are found. you could use a 3rd party utility like http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm to remap the buttons

That one is meant for the MS Intellimouse, so I don't know if it will run with my MX1000. Also, it only supports only five buttons - subtracting left and right buttons which you better don't redefine, and the wheel button which is pretty much unusable, that only leaves two.

Finally, it's for XP64 (where Setpoint works fine) and untested on Vista x64 final, much less SP1. Unsigned driver would also mean pressing F8 at every boot.

Thus, it's not of much use for me. Looks like I really have to wait until Logitech gets their act together.

• 2 months later...