Uninstall / Reinstall WMP11 in Vista

MikeyHunt

You probably know by now , that Windows Media Player 11 has lots of bugs that cannot be resolved by doing a system restore. You must begin anew at the 'factory original software point', to fix anything meaningful with the player.

there is another way

HERES THE FIX TO UNINSTALL WMP11

You have to delete the registry key in local machine....regedit, open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then got to software. look for Microsoft, look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer.............. DELETE THE WHOLE REGISTRY KEY FOLDER then reboot, it should ask if you want to reinstall it. That's it.

It's shameful that Microsoft would make it almost impossible to fix or repair or delete WMP11 without having to reinstall Vista entirely, in order to do so.

MikeyHunt,

Uh...don't think this is a fix...I tried your solution and Media Player was severely damaged, would not play any video whatsoever (not even the visualizations when playing audio only)...some audio would not work, random crashes of WMP11, etc. I had to system restore to get the player to play ANY video.

My experience:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer (delete folder/key) ---> Reboot ----> (nothing, no re-install, no dialogs, nada; no working WMP11) ---> System Restore ---> Reboot ---> WMP11 (with original problems)

If I missed something, please lemme know..

Also, has anyone had issues with video stuttering after installing the new Nvidia 175.16 WHQL drivers....never had a problem before, now all video stutters (mpgs, wmvs, etc.)

Thx

Vista Home Prem. x86

Edited by psimmons4

I did in fact delete just the registry key...I just said folder because in regedit it looks like a folder...I did not delete the folder in Program Files.

This solution still did not work for me and actually made things much worse for WMP11.

BTW, I forgot to mention; When I tried the "delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer" folder (hehe) solution, MikeyHunt says that windows should ask if you want to reinstall WMP11, however this did not happen when I rebooted my machine.

Peace,

P

Edited by psimmons4

or upgrade to Vista Service Pack 1, which has a "bug fixed" edition of Media Player 11 (version 11.0.6001.7000). some of the problems I had with WMP 11 were fixed in Vista SP1.