Win98SE BootDisk activate GRUB4DOS?

GTOOOOOH

I'm trying to use a Win98SE Bootdisk to kick-off Grub4DOS, doesn't seem possible though I keep getting an error:

Failure restore ROM INT 0x11 vector. Unsupposed DOS, device driver or TSR.

If I use an XP bootdisk it's fine, but I'm forced to use Win98SE bootdisk for this old PXE server we have and I cannot upgrade the PXE... so, can GRUB4DOS be activated from a 98SE bootdisk?

I have nothing in the autoexec.bat and the only lines in config.sys are the following:

DEVICE=GRUB.EXE

INSTALL=GRUB.EXE

SHELL=GRUB.EXE

I even tried a blank config.sys and then running GRUB from the a:\ prompt... same error, but, if I switch to an XP MS-DOS boot disk and rub GRUB from A: it's fine.

I'm using the latest version.

Edited by GTOOOOOH

Well you may want to have only one of those lines in config.sys. ;)

But with a blank autoexec.bat and config.sys, it should work normally.

And you are positive that you are using "normal" IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS and COMMAND.COM from WIN 98SE?

I am 100% positive it worked with 0.4.2, but if I recall coorectly it did with 0.4.3 as well.

You may try with those versions, right now I have no way to test latest version, but will do and see what happens.

jaclaz

I have nothing in the autoexec.bat and the only lines in config.sys are the following:

DEVICE=GRUB.EXE

INSTALL=GRUB.EXE

SHELL=GRUB.EXE

Supposing you have GRUB.EXE in the root directory of the boot drive, the same directory your config.sys is in, these three lines try to load GRUB as a device, then GRUB as an INSTALLed executable, on top of the already loaded GRUB. So, then the new instance of GRUB finds the old instance of GRUB resident and aborts complaining of an "Unsupposed DOS, device driver or TSR" because of the first instance of GRUB, while breaking the instalation of the first instance in the process of aborting. Result: neither works. My suggestion: leave just DEVICE=GRUB.EXE in the config.sys and try again. HTH.