Multimedia Class Scheduler

Legolash2o

Just for your information, not everyone uses vLite so vista run faster.... i use vLite because i don't like having things i don't need, i hate junk. I got a Quad-Core n 4TB of hdd space, full vista runs fine but i just really hate junk. So please don't be as hostile.

Same here, I just don't like stuff to be as extremely bloated as it is. If the slimmed-down stuff runs faster, that's a nice plus on top of it.

Exactly. I have more hdspace then you two combined but i dont brag about it as legoliam.

The point is of course to run windows or any operating system for that matter, without any unecessary baggage. Dont need it, dont want it, couldnt care to keep them =) Now if only we could rename admin account with vlite i'd be so overjoyed, it's causing some weird issues if you enable the account and then delete the installation account.

Is it just me but without MCS the sound in movies or music gets more easily interrupted while copying big files (few GB) on the same hdd?

Nope, i played a DVD movie while copying a HD (all on the same hard drive) and nothing wrong, then i put on a 780p HD movie and copied another HD to the same HDD and still nothing.

But it might depend on how fast ur hard drive is (SATA2) and what player you use (i used VLC).

My drive is ok (WD Caviar 750GB).

Player is MPC HC edition.

Upgraded the latest Intel chipset/sata drivers and so on. Vista is known for this issue, well if someone knows the cause, except removal of MCS let me know.

LegoLiam, I know about that but it can't be enabled with mine. I enable it, press OK and when I go back it is again disabled.

It could be because mine is set to SATA AHCI mode but it also could be that Intel drivers block that.

Edited by nuhi

I just made a new observation: on another computer that has Realtek HD onboard audio, disabling Windows Audio Endpoint Builder caused audio to not work.

However disabling Multimedia Class Scheduler is ok. Maybe because the computer has an Athlon 64 X2 4800+?

I just made a new observation: on another computer that has Realtek HD onboard audio, disabling Windows Audio Endpoint Builder caused audio to not work.

However disabling Multimedia Class Scheduler is ok. Maybe because the computer has an Athlon 64 X2 4800+?

Essentially to cut things short here, you NEED to have both off to get full effect to get closer to understanding what i am talking about =)

Keeping waepb service running = higher latency of sound then if off...

IF however, you like sound effects, think having stuff like EAX sound effects, you will need at least waepb service enabled. Possibly both services.

you can however, set manual effects yourself. Also third party tools will most likely work, remember its WINDOWS services/software here, not something from your sound card manufacturer. Unless things are written to depend on this from other third party software, nothing should stop you basically.

I have a x2 5000 black edition (overclocks awesome), and i had no trouble running without both.

Im running with Azalia chip enabled in bios, doesnt matter for sound per se, but check if you have it.

While people around the world are reporting that disabling mmcs helps filecopy speeds and what not, i tested to some extent that when also stopping

the waepb service, latency of sound dropped quite much.

I could literally hear the difference while in games, and i was complete awe of the difference

between i could react to sound.

I checked with quake 3, which is very old game, and as you might know is a *VERY* tweakable game. You can change about 800 settings, not including making binds/scripts/modification cvars.

So anwz, i tweaked sound to be played a half second before it was started, i cant explain it otherwise, and to my complete suprise i reached a new low there at a sustainable 0.4 seconds sounds being played off before they was actually played. I tested several times and found it very playable with 0.25 pre-playing or what i should call it, of sound. It totally kills fps (afaik max 300fps but more then enough) as cpu is being really pushed every millisecond, but gawd. Fatal1ty would killed to have that tweaked out setup.

Imagine that you hear everything, only 0.4 seconds faster then your enemy. I couldnt get anywhere near that without waepb and mmcs disabled and forgotten. If you are going to stay with vista for the time being, and you like games a bit more then your average office package, i'd strongly suggest

you do everything you can to these two services stopped, keeping only windows audio service enabled.

Possibly one of the other reasons why i was so successfull is because i had done a lot of tweaking to windows, but things like keeping aero theme off or disabled, doesnt really matter after sp1 of vista.

What i found that actually played a difference, was tweaking , of all things, the Easy of Access handicap settings.

Tweak that and combined with max performance of gui settings is a winner. Also if gaming, Keep windows desktop manager enabled, it's a must, long story. another time perhaps.

Now, on this same setup, and i have also a x-fi extreme gamer sound card. It was able to hold a 10fps faster in timedemos, on a really maxxed out quality settings, and not much different on low end gfx settings. Really disappointing but then again i kinda had that feeling it always was overrated. And thats also another story..

Happy tweaking!

My sound still works fine with both "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder" and "Multimedia Class Scheduler" disabled :D

@ LegoLiam™

that will be bit serious if sme crach occured, u will lose the disk cache

Read:

The Power of Bugs

My computer hasn't crashed in a long long time so ill take the chance :)

Edited by LegoLiam™

Then check into getting rid of the dependencies for the network list and them 3 others so u still have internet/lan functionality.

There's just so much bloat in vista =( Just about anything you can think of, is enabled as default in vista, just so MS has all bases covered =(

I had vista running at 12 services with internet and all working, but seriously it requires too much effort for any average joey to get it working proper, as in the eNLIGHTeD way. I'd say when you can run a .net fully able vista with all eye-candy and that crap that makes vista, vista, at about 500MB and still have most support, it mature as nlite today is. (Nlite is on the verge of becoming a lot better i think). Atm that is about 1500mb here, but requires about 250 tweaks not counting group policy edits. I got that number by counting all my .reg exports. It's just insane, i love tweaking, but when you feel you have to start resource hacking because its just plain silly the stuff u get to see wandering about in registry and inf files etc, gahw.

A couple of more vlite versions perhaps by winter, things are looking brighter..

Then check into getting rid of the dependencies for the network list and them 3 others so u still have internet/lan functionality.

There's just so much bloat in vista =( Just about anything you can think of, is enabled as default in vista, just so MS has all bases covered =(

I had vista running at 12 services with internet and all working, but seriously it requires too much effort for any average joey to get it working proper, as in the eNLIGHTeD way. I'd say when you can run a .net fully able vista with all eye-candy and that crap that makes vista, vista, at about 500MB and still have most support, it mature as nlite today is. (Nlite is on the verge of becoming a lot better i think). Atm that is about 1500mb here, but requires about 250 tweaks not counting group policy edits. I got that number by counting all my .reg exports. It's just insane, i love tweaking, but when you feel you have to start resource hacking because its just plain silly the stuff u get to see wandering about in registry and inf files etc, gahw.

A couple of more vlite versions perhaps by winter, things are looking brighter..

what are the dependencies to remove for network?

Im in XP x64 atm so cant check service names, If anyone is going to tweak network services, please attempt it in a VMware or similiar, first. Messing with your actual host install is a bad idea, if you dont know how to revert things back to default, alas backup is handy:

(if u just skipahead, you miss out probably, plz read ;))

0: First, a reminder when messing around in registry and you know you will do something windows doesnt expect per se, i always unload/disable any thing on startup from run and runonce and whatnot registry keys as well as from startup folders. Also remember the hidden systemprofile. In addition, to tweaking network services, i would like to point out one other important thing that should be checked into before u get to that:

Task scheduler in vista. It contains a lot of program/task schedules,

that i *of all my heart and mind strongly suggest* you look into 1st.

I dont even know where to begin with that, but like disable and delete the bloody:

customer improvement experience program

trancient multi monitor manager (i have multiple monitors, and they worked just fine, its a laptop external monitor thingie tbs.)

The all upnp services (doesnt mean upnp wont work)

bluetooth unloaderloader service, as well as for wireless

disk defragging service

and boatload of totally other crap.

This is important: *EVERYTHING* is *connected* *somehow*, and if you tweak something, read:

do any action that disables something that something else relies one and when that tries to operate, and get answear it cant coz the service/program/task isnt available, isnt running, is deleted or whatnot, you end up getting system delays, event log errors, and all things could really,really crash and burn, and before you know it, you are thinking you need to reinstall. It's vitally important that anyone going about doing tweaking know their stuff, because unless you take precautions, as in backup, and you are prepared and have the time to fix the system, you should not be messing with services etc that could break functionality that you actually need. Either you are ALL-IN or you should stick with just disabling stuff that windows actually provides an option for. Going about in registry and services.msc for that matter, isnt to be taken lightly. And Vista is so bloated, it can quickly become a headache to keep it all together.

Enough bloated talk:

I'm simply saying im not responsible, lol, and take you PREcautions, being sorry afterwards isnt going to help. Having said all that :

Please read all of the following first before you start messing about on anything:

1: simply start services.msc on vista

2: Find f.ex network list service, and take note of the actual service name.

3: Start Regedit

4: F3 and input service name. Should start search under currentcontrolset (not 001 or 002, just "currentcontrolset) btw.

5: Export the registry key and check that it contains the service as original.

6: rinse and repeat for remaining network services, this is very important. you need this incase you make a total mess, or simply to be safe for that matter.

7: Now that all backup is done. You should check on your network adapter, that you UNCHECK things like iPv6 and everything except tcpipv4. The reason WHY you should to that, is because you are going to tell windows then, to not need any other network service, for the time being. This is good as you prevent, at least in theory, windows to access/start other things. And windows like to do things we dont want it to do, lol.

8: Now lets see, i have to think, hmm.. the utterly crappy IpV6, this is a whole other story as well. Crap.

Ah yes. You need to add to registry a Dword 32bit key, Called DisabledComponents.

Look just google "ipv6 vista" and disabledcomponents. It's a bitmap key and i believe the value should be 255, but dont take my word for it.

Im having a hangover, so bare with me lol =)

You see vista is so-called-made-for-the-future-and-is-by-default-enabled-for-all-such-new-s***-that-most-people-dont-actually-use.

But could perhaps use. Ipv6 is strongly built into vista and cant be taken away/disabled lightly. you need to also disable AFTERWARDS some of the network devices, under device manager, network devices, not your network card tho lol, so that you minimize ipv6 things.

Now i have long since realized this is too complicated to undertake explaining it all here, so should probably start another post and take more time to build the answear...

Anyway, you should by now have all things disabled in network, and removed dependencies, make sure in registry keys you have f.ex the RPC service standing and its a *empty* line beneath it, alas memory is failing me at this point but not all services dont necessarily have it. But its a crucial windows service anyway. dont mess with it. *period*.

Now check back on, enable, network lan on network card under network connections. you shouldnt need the new services, just keep printer/file sharing and sharing for microsoft network. Pain in the arse to explain this without reference lol =))))

all the network services you disabled, should not start even if set to manual.

However, do not panic if they do start, it simply means you have missed a service.

I think i failed utterly at explaining this, and feel i have forgotten something =(.

ANYWAY!

You would have at least managed to get a bit faster startup-time of vista, since you not having such network service on automatic, and they wont startup automatic before they are needed (they shouldnt be needed if u have disabled/removed all dependencies needed)

. IF all services start anyway before you have accessed lan, you have missed something. and of course, network connections service shouldnt be on auto.

I think you also need to disable something else not directly thought of as network. I just cant remember atm.

for my opininion ... " for OC`d Quad it`s fine to remove that...

It`s most likely thought for single-cores...

Dual Cores/Quad Cores + Creative X-FI...users live without it better... :thumbup

Edited by Etz