Multimedia Class Scheduler

Legolash2o

Just have a theory... Because i have removed it and it doesn't affect my music whatever and there is also a performance increase when copying files (not using onboard) so i am just wondering if MCS is just needed for onboard. Thanks.

If you DO remove remove Multimedia Class Scheduler, does it affect your music and are you using onboard audio or not.

Edited by LegoLiam™

Just have a theory... Because i have removed it and it doesn't affect my music whatever and there is also a performance increase when copying files (not using onboard) so i am just wondering if MCS is just needed for onboard. Thanks.

If you DO remove remove Multimedia Class Scheduler, does it affect your music and are you using onboard audio or not.

am on server 2008, i did not remove it, but i did disable the service to see the benefits, but the outcome was my creative (x-fi extreme music) sound service was also disabled automatically, so i enabled it again.

Removed it with vlite. However, if you have it in vista, just disabling it will NOT be good enough. You have to remove the dependency with regedit.

I have tested with both onboard and with x-fi extreme gamer. I find it for my use, best to completely remove it.

It's like qos, just audio. Also latency of sound is improved imho. On a sidenote i also think x-fi isnt worth it if onboard is up to HD standards.

ok, thanks for that info tranceEnergy, will remove it with vlite and its dependency, and see how it goes.

NP. I'm interested in hearing your findings with server 2008. I havent tried that.Tho i do remove alot with vlite, so on services side, it should be quite similiar. I remove everything except network. Also you can get rid of needing WMP by using f.ex media connectivity plugin for firefox.

Which works absolutely perfect with VLC Portable. And i also use Portable Firefox. So All i have to do is to run program to set portable firefox as default browser and vlc portable as default media player. Also works great with GOM player, Mplayer For Windows, and heaps more, but those i have tried and works perfectly. *Including* streaming media. But of course, be prepared to do some configurations. Maxthon is easy as it uses the IE core, so if all else fails.. While im at it, have you tried comparing 2d gfx performance in 2008? Use PerformanceTest program. 2003 was 50% faster on xp on that test here.

ok, thanks for that info tranceEnergy, will remove it with vlite and its dependency, and see how it goes.

NP. I'm interested in hearing your findings with server 2008. I havent tried that.Tho i do remove alot with vlite, so on services side, it should be quite similiar. I remove everything except network. Also you can get rid of needing WMP by using f.ex media connectivity plugin for firefox.

Which works absolutely perfect with VLC Portable. And i also use Portable Firefox. So All i have to do is to run program to set portable firefox as default browser and vlc portable as default media player. Also works great with GOM player, Mplayer For Windows, and heaps more, but those i have tried and works perfectly. *Including* streaming media. But of course, be prepared to do some configurations. Maxthon is easy as it uses the IE core, so if all else fails.. While im at it, have you tried comparing 2d gfx performance in 2008? Use PerformanceTest program. 2003 was 50% faster on xp on that test here.

I think ur going off topic lol :P

@shahed26, i've also got an X-FI XtremeMusic.

ok guys here are my results. removed "Multimedia Class Scheduler" from server 2008 x64 dvd iso with vlite v1.6 final. the outcome was no problem with audio at all. video clips played normal, live tv (tv tuner card) also played live videos without and problems.

anyways, seriously what are the benefits or removing this? will this affect any games if i was to play games on server 2008? had no time to test a game with "Multimedia Class Scheduler" removed. but hopefully it should be fine.

i have removed it and it doesn't affect my music whatever and there is also a performance increase when copying files (not using onboard) so i am just wondering if MCS is just needed for onboard. Thanks.

how did you test your file copying performance increase? does it really speed up file copying? does it improve performance overall of systems..

Edited by shahed26

Did a new Win2008 install with it removed (and a few other things as well).

No problems so far - if anything, it feels snappier B)

Forgot to mention, I also have an X-Fi Extreme Music Pci-E.

Edited by Petrarca

Hm...seems like you are right. I plugged in Emu1212m and it really does not crackle with MCS removed.

I was using onboard digital out when it does help to keep that component.

Well, one less :)

how did you test your file copying performance increase? does it really speed up file copying? does it improve performance overall of systems..

According to several websites on Google it mostly affects network copying speed. My normal copying (HDD to HDD) has speeded up a bit too. But the speeds would only of been affected if you have music/video playing while copying a file.

http://courtneymalone.com/2007/08/28/a-not...-network-speed/

http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/a...27/1833290.aspx

http://www.thebits.info/windows/vista-mcs-56.htm

apprently IPv6 also slows down network copying too.

Hm...seems like you are right. I plugged in Emu1212m and it really does not crackle with MCS removed.

I was using onboard digital out when it does help to keep that component.

Well, one less :)

So your saying you onboard digital out crackles without MCS?

Edited by LegoLiam™

LegoLiam™, yup, as MagicAndre1981 noted as well.

My onboard is Realtek.

I had trouble with both Realtek and Nvidia SoundStorm onboard sound. Running an Audigy now; I would think it might be immune from the associated cracking-popping-ticking sound w/o Multimedia Sched