Adding XP SP3 to a Dell XP Pro SP2 - no go

WSZsr

I have a Dell XP Pro SP2 CD that came with my Dell XPS410. I can boot from the CD and install XP with no problems. I used Nlite to add SP3 and only SP3. It will boot from this CD and copy files. However, when it gets to the starting windows screen, I get a BSOD with a reference to "7b". I have attemped this several times, a few times adding the ACHI SATA drivers. No go!

I have tried the manual method of slipstreaming with the same result.

Any help would be appreciated!

I have a Dell XP Pro SP2 CD that came with my Dell XPS410. I can boot from the CD and install XP with no problems. I used Nlite to add SP3 and only SP3. It will boot from this CD and copy files. However, when it gets to the starting windows screen, I get a BSOD with a reference to "7b". I have attemped this several times, a few times adding the ACHI SATA drivers. No go!

Have you tried turning off the AHCI mode for SATA in the BIOS. If i remember right, this happened to me last week at work.

Have you tried turning off the AHCI mode for SATA in the BIOS. If i remember right, this happened to me last week at work.

That would work I am sure at some sacrifice in performance. However, if the Dell CD works in AHCI mode, the nLite SP3 version should too!

I am not sure how Dell integrates AHCI. You could have a look at I386\WinNT.sif or what is in the $OEM$ folder.

Does this tell you anything?

; Generated by nLite 1.4.5

[Data]

AutomaticUpdates="No"

Autopartition=0

MsDosInitiated=0

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=DefaultHide

UnattendSwitch="Yes"

OemPreinstall="Yes"

OemSkipEula="Yes"

FileSystem=*

WaitForReboot="No"

NoWaitAfterTextMode=1

NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

Hibernation="No"

[systemRestore]

[GuiUnattended]

EncryptedAdminPassword="No"

AutoLogon="Yes"

TimeZone=020

OEMSkipRegional=1

OemSkipWelcome=1

[Components]

[userData]

ProductKey="XJM6Q-BQ8HW-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx"

ComputerName=XPS_410

FullName="WSZsr"

OrgName="Home"

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=1

Language= "0409"

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents="Yes"

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup="Workgroup"

I am not sure how Dell integrates AHCI. You could have a look at I386\WinNT.sif or what is in the $OEM$ folder.

This is the nLite generated WinNT.sif. What is in the WinNT.sif (if any) on the original Dell CD?

This is the nLite generated WinNT.sif. What is in the WinNT.sif (if any) on the original Dell CD?

Here it is:

[userData]

ProductKey="XJM6Q-BQ8HW-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx"

[Data]

MSDosInitiated=0

UnattendedInstall=Yes

[Components]

Fax=On

Don't know if this helps, but I've used the Dell XP Pro SP2 CD to slipstream SP3 and everything worked fine, this is using Optiplex 745, 170L and Latitude d630 models (using AHCI mode).

Pretty much same thing here, didn't add anything else other than SP3, along with some unattended settings and removing internet games.

Sorry, not a solution to your problem, just wanted to help you rule out what you can.

Here it is:

Nothing about AHCI here. Is there anything, in the original CD, in CD Root\$OEM$\Textmode?

Nothing at all. The Dell XP Pro SP2 boots and installs fine. I tried it on a retail copy of XP with the same result??

I even tried loading the SATA drivers using F6 and the same BSOD.

The failure code is always 0x0000007B 0XF78D2524 0xC0000034 0x00000000 0x00000000.

I know I played this record before:

-Did you remove read-only from all your files after copying from the CD?

It seems DELL integrates AHCI completely; you might look for clues in DOSNET.inf and TXTSETUP.sif

I believe there is also something like DELL.cab that might give you some ideas.

I know I played this record before:

-Did you remove read-only from all your files after copying from the CD?

Never had to do that before but I gave it a try. If I right click on the i386 folder and remove the check for read only then apply, they are all read only when I open the folder again! How do I do it?

Edited by WSZsr

• 1 month later...

Did you ever get the problem fixed?

I have a successful windows xp sp3 dell restore cd.

I made it this morning and tested it on a bunch of dell laptops we received on our latest shipment. They had XP COA's and so Instead of loading xp, and then SP3 I went to work on making a working cd. I delted a few files and did a few things and it worked perfectly. The cds have Windows XP SP3 and all updates as to todays date. They even work like the original dell xp cd as it was built from one.

Again... Its a working sp3 built from a xp sp2 dell restore cd with the service pack updated as well as all updates as of todays date from microsoft.

I made both Home & Pro!

Anyone Have Dell MCE 2005 with or without a service pack? I have one laptop requiring it and I have no cd for that.

The easy way? Download an original windows xp pro image from p2p. If you fear of legal implications, consider that you are already elegible of owning an un-customized copy. Nlite can't support any existent broken xp build.