Opera 9.xx in Windows 98

Sfor

I'm working with a Polish language Windows versions. I do not know if the Maximus Decim update is fitted to patch other than English language Windows versions.

I'm not sure either, it will replace user.exe, but extracting msimg32.dll manually and putting it in your system directory won't kill your system and can be undone easy. Extract the mdcu300.exe inside the zip manually. Inside the mdcu300.exe there is a mdcu.cab that contains the msim32.dll.

Thanks for the advice ElectricString, I downloaded some msimg32.dll versions scattered around the internet but none of them worked.

I tried to download the patch, but I was defeated by the Rapid Share "cat protection system". I'm just unable to figure out, what is it all about. My eyes are not as effective as they used to be, apparently.

Is there some other server I could download the patch from?

I tried to download the patch, but I was defeated by the Rapid Share "cat protection system". I'm just unable to figure out, what is it all about. My eyes are not as effective as they used to be, apparently.

Is there some other server I could download the patch from?

You can download MD's CU v.2.50 from MDGx's website:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#MDC

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/MDCU.ZIP

msimg32.dll here:

http://uploaded.to/?id=bx4i65

Put it in your \windows\system under DOS (reboot tot dos-mode), please backup your old msimg32.dll first, just in case.

edit: It also works if you put the file in the opera directory. No rebooting to dos needed and no risk of breaking someting.

Edited by noguru

I had to put the Msimg32.dll file to the Opera folder. In the file was placed just in the C:\Windows\System folder the Opera complained it can not find it.

Strange. On my system \System is fine. Does it complain it cannot find, or does it complain it's the wrong version? In the second case you can use dependency checker to see which msimg32 is actually loaded.

Well. In my case Opera is complaining about Msimg32.dll file missing or too old (I do have a 5.00.1693.1 so it is too old, apparently). It says some transparrency effects can be slow or not drawn correctly. It suggects to copy the file from Windows ME.

I took a 5.00.2180.1 Msimg32.dll version from Windows 2000. But, the Opera complains about it, as well.

I've got a similar message but when I've replaced msimg32.dll with the version from Windows ME CD it didn't appear again.

@noguru

msimg32.dll here:

http://uploaded.to/?id=bx4i65

Put it in your \windows\system under DOS (reboot tot dos-mode), please backup your old msimg32.dll first, just in case.

edit: It also works if you put the file in the opera directory. No rebooting to dos needed and no risk of breaking someting.

I followed your suggestion (placing the file in Opera directory) and it worked! Opera doesn't complain anymore about the msimg32.dll.

Thanks! :thumbup

Your are most welcome! But I start to wonder if it has been real help because I find this opera 9.50 totally useless after playing with it for a few days.

It eats up all my GDI resources. :realmad: When I have 5 tabs open it's below 60% already and with every new tab I open, even after closing others, it's gets lower and lower until it's 0%. It doesn't free any resources while it's running. And then everything stops. .. bang boom crash. The only thing not locked-out is the reset button.

I tried to lower resource use by using the native Windows skin and disabling favicons and not opening pages that contain Flash items. But it's no help at all. The only way I can run this is to have some resource meter open all the time and close/re-open Opera before it's too late.

Maxthon+IE6 SP1 rarely gets below 70%. With Opera 9.27 I never had such problems and I used a non-native skin and had favicons enabled.

Anyone else who can confirm this?

I found Opera to be a very good internet browser. Still, there is a problem related with opening links using DDE with both Opera 9.2x and the newest 9.5x betas.

While trying to open Opera through running .URL file or clicking on an Internet link in a third party application, Opera displays an error message saying "it can not locate the file or it's component" (translation from Polish), then the browser is starting without the clicked link oppened.

The exact English error msg is: "Cannot find the file xxx.url (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available." The exact msg text may be helpful for internet searches.

I first encountered this problem in Jan.2007 when I installed Opera v9.10 (International_Setup.exe). Before I had been using Opera v7.23 as default browser for 3 years, NO problem with internet shortcuts. The internet-shortcut-bug is rather a bug of recent versions of Opera than of Win98.

In Jan.2007 I considered this bug so serious that I immediately reverted to Opera 7.23. I have one important internet shortcut on my desktop, which is to the configuration of the wireless router. In Jan.2007, when I looked at the internet-shortcut-bug, I got the feeling that this is a major can of worms for Opera, that's possibly why they never fixed it. Here a link to related info from my notes: "Unable to view Internet shortcuts" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175306 Maybe this link is helpful if somebody wants to delve into this problem. I doubt that the people at Opera will fix it.

In March/May 2008 I installed v9.26/9.27, both still had the internet-shortcut-bug. But it didn't matter anymore since I had set Firefox as the default browser, which is the easiest workaround to Opera's internet-shortcut problem. Setting a browser as the default browser does not necessarily mean that it is your main browser (Opera is still my favorite browser). It just means: open internet shortcuts with it.

If I remember right, this internet-shortcut problem of Opera also occurs when you click on links in the About screen of software packages, e.g. for registering or buying a software package, or for getting Help via the internet, or in eMule for making a TCP/UDP port connection test. Amazing that the people at Opera haven't fixed this one.

This is an interesting topic.

I believe I have every version of Opera available and, find 8.5 to be the best for my needs. Its only pitfall is not functioning on one of my E Mail accounts. I’ve tried 9.27 and it seems to work fine however, the extra features are something I’ll never use.

As for version 9.5 Final Version,

It runs faster on my old AMD K6 but, I don’t notice a difference on my Pentium 4. Surprisingly, Alpha 9.5 is the fastest on my Pentium 4. Unfortunately, it had difficulty determining what type of file it was saving when you downloaded PDF files.

Has anyone noticed (Or possibly I just can’t find it) that version 9.5 Series doesn’t offer the opera6 configuration settings?

I’ve never had any problems saving URLs in folders an having Opera retrieve them.

Hi noguru,

Yes I believe your impressions of opera 9.50 are correct as much the same happened to me.

First time everything locked-out I just put it down to a system glitch, although why I did not investigate it at that time I don't know. I have been running 98SE2ME since early 2007 and it has been faultless (thanks MDGX).

Second time I took your advice and had the resouce meter running although I'm not one for having many tabs or windows opened at once, I was alarmed at how quickly the green on the resource meter turns to amber and even more alarmed at how quickly the amber turns to red. Then it's only a matter of time and having to open acrobat 5.1 to view a pdf on one page was the last straw for the PC and as you say only the reset button is available.

I have since reverted to 9.27 and the resource meter usually hovers around the 74% mark after a similiar type of browsing.

As Mijzelf says it,s "blazing fast" but for me the GDI resources problem outweigh that advantage.

I see that 9.51 beta is out, perhaps things will improve given time.

Edited by lightning slinger

@noguru

Your are most welcome! But I start to wonder if it has been real help because I find this opera 9.50 totally useless after playing with it for a few days.

It eats up all my GDI resources. realmad.gif When I have 5 tabs open it's below 60% already and with every new tab I open, even after closing others, it's gets lower and lower until it's 0%. It doesn't free any resources while it's running. And then everything stops. .. bang boom crash. The only thing not locked-out is the reset button.

I tried to lower resource use by using the native Windows skin and disabling favicons and not opening pages that contain Flash items. But it's no help at all. The only way I can run this is to have some resource meter open all the time and close/re-open Opera before it's too late.

Maxthon+IE6 SP1 rarely gets below 70%. With Opera 9.27 I never had such problems and I used a non-native skin and had favicons enabled.

Anyone else who can confirm this?

Now that you mentioned it, I tried observing Opera 9.5 and I did observe the same thing. Too bad, I really liked Opera since it was supposed to be "light" on resources. And perhaps its older versions were as they said they were. Now, I just don't know if this latest version is just too much for Win98SE to handle. Anyway, I switched to Firefox 2.0.0.14 for the meantime. If this issue about Opera clears-up then I'm going back to it.

Edited by jglori