Opera 9.xx in Windows 98

Sfor

I'm wondering Sfor, does your problem happen with .htm files as well as .html and .https files?

I ask because your registry entries don't show any data for .htm files.

I don't have an entry for .https files, but I do for .htm and .html files, and they are both of type "Opera.HTML"

The entry for that, which is generated by Opera of course is -

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Opera.HTML]
@="HTML Document"
"EditFlags"=dword:00000000
"BrowserFlags"=dword:00000008

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Opera.HTML\ScriptHostEncode]
@="{0CF774D0-F077-11D1-B1BC-00C04F86C324}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Opera.HTML\shell]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Opera.HTML\shell\Edit]
@="&Edit"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Opera.HTML\shell\Edit\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Office XP\\Office10\\msohtmed.exe\" %1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Opera.HTML\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Opera.HTML\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\OPERA\\OPERA.EXE \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Opera.HTML\shell\open\ddeexec]
@="\"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Opera.HTML\shell\open\ddeexec\Application]
@="Opera"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Opera.HTML\shell\open\ddeexec\Topic]
@="WWW_OpenURL"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Opera.HTML\shell\Open in Internet Explorer]
"EditFlags"=hex:01,00,00,00
@="Open in Internet Explorer"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Opera.HTML\shell\Open in Internet Explorer\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Internet\\IEXPLORE.EXE %1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Opera.HTML\shell\Print]
@="&Print"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Opera.HTML\shell\Print\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Office XP\\Office10\\msohtmed.exe\" /p %1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Opera.HTML\ShellEx]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Opera.HTML\ShellEx\IconHandler]
@="{42042206-2D85-11D3-8CFF-005004838597}"

Ignore the entry for Internet Explorer, I just added that manually so I can right click and choose to open the file in IE instead of Opera if I want to. The Office XP entry was put there by Office XP itself!

Apart from the times when Opera is a bit too slow starting up, and opens with a blank page, this always works.

If I double click on an htm or html file in Windows Explorer, or on a link say in an e-mail, Opera opens and displays the page as it should do.

Although it sounds a bit drastic, I would uninstall Opera, and go through and delete manually all registry entries referring to it if any remain.

Then make IE your default browser, assuming that you have it, and make sure that works with the file associations as it should.

Then reinstall Opera and make that the default browser and see if it behaves any better.

:)

Edited by Dave-H

No, the problem does not happen with the .HTM and .HTML files. But, when I'm trying to open an internet page shortcut from my desktop (Active Desktop - Switched off) without the Opera running, the Opera starts without the link loaded. If Opera is running, the link opens correctly.

When creating a new shortcut on the desktop to an internet page, the Windows 98 creates a .URL file. The file extension is not shown by the windows explorer in any place. In order to confirm the file extension is .URL it is necesary to open properties of the link. The file extension is visible in the MS-DOS file name field, only.

When creating a new shortcut, the explorer does create .LNK or .URL file depending on what is entered in the command line field. Local file path means .LNK. While an internet page address will result in the .URL.

Ah, so your problem is related to .url files, which are internet shortcuts (as used by IE favorites).

The registry keys you quoted were only relevant to .html and .https files, which are quite different.

Try this, go to Opera Tools>Preferences>Advanced>Programs and select the "Details" button.

Check "URL shortcuts" on the left hand side and see if that does the trick.

The registry keys I have posted are used, when the Explorer or Outlook Express is opening internet shortcuts. I've proved it, because a change in these keys does change the way the .URL files are opened.

The Opera (while making it the default browser) changes these keys by default. If they would not be selected, other browser would be used to open the shortcuts. So, the check box you are referring to should change nothing. And as a matter of fact it does change nothing, as I have tried all the possible Opera settings long time ago (with this particular setting included).

If I go to my Internet Explorer favorites folder using Windows Explorer, and double click on one of the files, Opera opens and displays the webpage that it's pointing to.

Those are internet shortcuts, and are actually .url files, although they show no file extension.

Looking at my file types, .url fines are associated with this command "rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l" (without the quotes.)

See if this is the case on your system.

After trying the last beta and the precedent, I've gone back twice to the last stable version until the next stable one is delivered. IMO there's no need to hurry at all, at least for Win9x users.

Edited by cannie

If I go to my Internet Explorer favorites folder using Windows Explorer, and double click on one of the files, Opera opens and displays the webpage that it's pointing to.

Those are internet shortcuts, and are actually .url files, although they show no file extension.

Looking at my file types, .url fines are associated with this command "rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l" (without the quotes.)

See if this is the case on your system.

Yes, there is exaclty the same setting. My shdocvw.dll version is 6.00.2800.1849. It is possible the problem is version or language related. In my case the shdocvw.dll is a Polish language version.

Yes, that's exactly the problem.

I've been trying to replace the shdocvw.dll to some older versions. But, I was unable to correct the issue that way. The attempt to replace the shdocvw.dll to some other language version prevented the system from booting correctly. The shdocvw.dll seems to be a wrong trail, I think.

Woohoo, Opera 9.5 final is shipped! I installed it and it's blazing fast.

However, I tried to install in on a clean W95A installation, and first it complained about winsock 2. (Opera 9.2x worked fine with winsock 1). I installed winsock 2, and then it complained it couldn't load opera.dll due to a lacking dll. According to Depends it needs PathFileExistsA from Shlwapi.dll. I suppose I have to install IE first before Opera will run?

Well. In my case Opera is complaining about Msimg32.dll file missing or too old (I do have a 5.00.1693.1 so it is too old, apparently). It says some transparrency effects can be slow or not drawn correctly. It suggects to copy the file from Windows ME.

I took a 5.00.2180.1 Msimg32.dll version from Windows 2000. But, the Opera complains about it, as well.

The effect with oppening .URL links remained unchanged.

SFOR :hello:

Get this 'Maximus Decim Cumulative Update ver.3.00 for Windows 98SE' for Msimg32.dll v5.00.2218.1

HTH :)

Yep, that's the version required. It's a shame that Opera couldn't bundle it with the browser.

And wow - Opera 9.5 is incredibly slick and fast. It's such a good fit with Windows 98 SE (I'm yet to try it with 95 - thanks Mijzelf for your comment above).

I'm working with a Polish language Windows versions. I do not know if the Maximus Decim update is fitted to patch other than English language Windows versions.