Vista 64 Sp1 DVD that will boot with 4GB Memory installed?

mjdalpee

Hi,

I am able to create a slipstreamed SP1 DVD, but when I boot it, it crashed if I have more that 2GB of memory installed. This is a known problem with the pre-SP1 vista 64 DVDs, but I was hoping that by slipstreaming in SP1, the problem would disappear. Just wanted to check to make sure that there is not something special I must do when creating the SP1 DVD so it will not have a problem booting with 4GB memory installed.

thanks

are you running 2 or 4 mem. sticks? did you enable the memory remap feature in the BIOS?

(sorry, this isn't the official support you were probably expecting in the first place :whistle: )

EDIT: also I've found many threads on the net reporting the same info about KB929777, which is supposed to fix that one problem, and they claim you gotta install this update with 2GB or less installed

this is a copy/paste from another forum :

Since KB929777 is integrated into SP1, this method somewhat makes sense. To install KB929777, you have to have less than 4GB RAM installed, and then add the rest. Since it's integrated, you have to install the whole of windows with less than 4GB

Edited by JJOJ

i was under the impression that it shouldn't be a problem with sp1

what motherboard & ram do you have? might not have enough volts :) lots of ocz ram is rated 2.1-2.2v (where 1.8 is usually the default in the bios)

Prior to SP1, I had to remove a 2gig stick in order to get vista64 ultimate installed. :wacko: Once sp1 came out, I was able to use vlite (rc -have not tried with final) to slipstream SP1 so that I was able to install with my 4gig installed from the start. :D However, I have tried several combinations of vlite configurations that include slipstream then unattended, integrating updated drivers, etc. so that I could get a dvd burned that was configured the way I wanted it. I have not kept great notes on what worked and what did not, but in many cases, if I did much besides slipstream and perhaps a couple of mods in the unattended tab, the dvd that was created also resulted in BSOD when attempting to boot to it for a fresh install. :huh:

Not sure if I have a touchy combination of parts,

[Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4]

[Diamond3850PE video]

[Athlon64x2 6400+]

[Corsair550vx PSU]

[Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB)]

latest bios, FW etc.

No bios settings to remap memory that I can find, nor a tech support at gigabyte that can answer a simple question.

Anyway, I was able to get a simple sp1 slipstream done, and am happy that nuhi is able to provide something that microsoft would not allow. :thumbup

This issue probably stems from the amd architecture. Solution is to set memory timings manually, or you could otherwise experience weird stability issues after a while. This is very clear on xp x64 but on vista such issues seems to be gone, afaik.

But definitively try settings memory timings manually, not all boards set them correctly. Vista just handles things a bit differently then xp, thus less probability of such crashes. Infact imho it's a good practise to set up everything on manual, not leaving anything to the automatic setting in bios.

So if crashes do occur, troubleshooting them issues can be easier.

Hi,

I am able to create a slipstreamed SP1 DVD, but when I boot it, it crashed if I have more that 2GB of memory installed. This is a known problem with the pre-SP1 vista 64 DVDs, but I was hoping that by slipstreaming in SP1, the problem would disappear. Just wanted to check to make sure that there is not something special I must do when creating the SP1 DVD so it will not have a problem booting with 4GB memory installed.

thanks

mount sources\boot.wim image 2 with imagex and replace system32\hal.dll with an updated pre SP1 hal.dll

Edited by untermensch

No problem here either on Vista ultimate x64 sp1 with 8 gigs ram. Im running with 4 sticks normally 2stick=1.8 volt, bios is setting it to 1.95 volt automatically. It's important to adjust if you have more then 2 sticks, or less, just 1.

No problem here either on Vista ultimate x64 sp1 with 8 gigs ram. Im running with 4 sticks normally 2stick=1.8 volt, bios is setting it to 1.95 volt automatically. It's important to adjust if you have more then 2 sticks, or less, just 1.

99% of the time I dont have a problem with 4GB of memory installed, but once in a while Ill get a blue screen when booting from

the DVD, then I restart and get the same blue screen, so I shutdown pull a stick of ram boot up with with no problem then shutdown

put the ram back in boot up agin and no blue screen. WTF? anyways I havent had a problem since I replaced Hal.dll in boot.wim

I have seen this a problem many times with the 4 GB problem .. But somehow i have never have this issue and i have 6 GB RAM .. Not even in XP i have got this as i also have read many places ..

But a thing i know is this issue was fix WAAAAY before SP1 was release .. i think it was 6 month before or something.

My System is :

nForce 6 Chipset

2 x 2 GB Ram Module and 2 x 1 GB Ram Module

Processor is AMD 6000+ x64 x2 Processor

And i have never got any blue screen with this issue in a installation even both a Vista Gold homepremium - Ultimate x32 + x64 and Windows XP SP2. So as i thought that time, when my friend has this issue i was sure its matter of hardware compatible work together issue .. and its look like it, because when he upgrade he bought same mainboard as me and same RAM and after that he hasnt got problems.

This problem occurs if the following conditions are true:

• The computer uses more than 3 GB of RAM.

• The computer uses a storage system that is running the Storport miniport driver.

• The computer uses a controller that uses 32-bit direct memory access (DMA).

clearly your system doesn't meet all the above requirements, and an update from

microsoft does not update your install DVD, if your getting blue screen when

booting from the install DVD then you will have to remove some RAM to get

Vista to install which can be a PITA. I choose to update my install DVD so I would

not have to unplug all the cables to my HTPC remove it from the rack then remove the

video card remove a stick of RAM reverse the process install Vista take the computer

apart agin install the RAM and then put the computer back together.

The problem is usually a disk or memory controller that uses 32bit DMA, even under x64 (either incapable of doing 64bit DMA or does not work properly). I have a machine at home with an Intel chipset that does this (it's not the amount of RAM, per se, it's the number of slots filled) - when I have the first two slots filled (even with 2GB+2), everything works fine at 4GB. However, if I put memory in the last two slots (could be 1GB+4, 2GB+4, 512+4, etc), Vista ALWAYS bugchecks.

Long story short, Vista is made for new hardware and as such otherwise perfectly working hardware will not function with it.

I have a decade old HP 3300c scanner, which works flawlessly under any new, hot linux distro. But there will not be a driver for it under vista.

If you can't sell enough stuff, i guess you have to force customers into it. And people go thinking, ok so if it doesnt work under vista, then it can't be good enough for me..