Netscape Navigator

celtish

Uhh, welcome to the past? The last update was in February of this year.

And Opera FTW. Seriously, if you're still a win9x user and don't run IE, then Opera is the best alternative.

or K-meleon. K-meleon is a lightweight browser just like Opera, uses Mozilla's gecko engine and runs well. Latest versions of K-meleon are 1.15 and 1.50 beta. Both work under Win9x though Win9x/ME/NT4 users must run the "k-meleonW9x.exe" file instead of normal "k-meleon.exe" file for K-meleon 1.50 beta to work correctly.

Last version of Opera supported under Win95 is 9.2x. I've tested the Opera 9.50 betas on an old Win95c machine and they fail to work (the opera.dll file doesn't load). seriously. But the Opera 9.50 betas seem to work with Win98/ME.

Netscape retired support for their Navigator browsers on March 1, 2008 as noted on this page.

Edited by erpdude8

And Opera FTW. Seriously, if you're still a win9x user and don't run IE, then Opera is the best alternative.

SeaMonkey is another good option for older systems. Their release notes recommend 98SE or newer but it runs just fine on 98FE. It's a combined suite so it is a bigger download than the "browser only" options, Version 1.1.9 is a 13MB download. On my box, it runs a bit faster than FF. Many of the Firefox extensions work with it. I've tried the other browsers and keep coming back to SeaMonkey. It's comfortable to use and IMO, it just feels right.

Rick

Have you checked out the SeaMonkey Project? As of now it list the requirements as:

• Windows 95*, 98, 98SE, Windows Me, Windows NT 3.51, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows 2003 (DCOM needed for 95)
  • # Intel pentium class processor (233 MHz or faster recommended)
  • 100 MB of free hard disk space (significantly less space is required if you reduce the cache size)

"SeaMonkey has inherited the successful all-in-one concept of the original Netscape Communicator and continues that product line based on the modern, cross-platform architecture provided by the Mozilla project."

Communicator was essentially Navigator with a few extras. Of course, the compatibility with Win9x will probably end soon, but hasn't yet.

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

I guess I was composing this message when the person above was too! ;)

Edited by Steven W

Opera is a good web browser, but there was no need to suddenly swoop in and recommend it in a thread about the end-of-life of Netscape Navigator.

Opera fans can be annoying...

Opera is a good web browser, but there was no need to suddenly swoop in and recommend it in a thread about the end-of-life of Netscape Navigator.

says the guy that plugs his favorite browser on every post regardless of content. -you have a seamonkey link in your sig :)

Oh, please. You know as well as I do that plugging something in your signature is something totally different. I wouldn't mind Opera fans linking their favourite web browser in their signature.

Don't be oversensitive. Geek is right, your standard solution for any IE related issue/problem is "get SeaMonkey"

Exactly because this is a "end of live" thread, recommending alternative options is not that strange!

Firefox, Seamonkey and the latest, shortly revived from death Netscape, are all Mozilla under the hood. Win9x support for Firefox3 is gone already so fear the future for your Seamonkey. From this point of view Opera is a very good and sensible choice regardless the pro's and con's of these browsers.

And it's very well possible that win95 support is fixed in the stable version. Common behaviour for lots of sofware lately. I've had problems beta sofware on Win98se, sometimes even refuses to work or install at all, but fortunatly later stable versions where good. Opera 9.5beta runs on my win98se but is bit slow compared to 9.27. I hope it will be fixed.

Firefox, Seamonkey and the latest, shortly revived from death Netscape, are all Mozilla under the hood. Win9x support for Firefox3 is gone already so fear the future for your Seamonkey.

Looks like that you haven't read yet this thread ;):

http://www.msfn.org/board/UberKern-t115731.html

Sure I did :) But that's not official support. Latest KernelEx does nice things too. But also very beta and unofficial, no quarantees. Not good for the common user.