SP3 and RIS

Hello

I can find a whack of stuff about slipstreaming SP3 into an ISO installation, however I'd like to know if anyone can make any suggestions on slipstreaming SP3 with RIS.

Thanks in advance..

Tim

If you've got an XP source i386 folder, simply slipstream SP3 into it and then add it to RIS (either manually or with the wizard - I prefer manual, but that's just me). Working OK here on a few boxes.

• 3 weeks later...

When you say manual do you mean copy the contents of the new I386 folder maybe from a slipstreamed SP3 CD to the location of the I368 folder for the base image in RIS and copy over all the files?

can't slipstream as I have the SVCPACK folder in the current image.

Another question.

Is it possible in RIS to have two flat images? So I could choose SP3 or SP2 (current flat)?

Edited by lawson23

• 2 weeks later...
you can slipstream same as you do a cd

xpsp3.exe /integrate:"\\risserver\REMINST\Setup\English\Images\WINDOWS_XP"

I would make a backup of the folder on the ris server first

But, If i unterstand you right then you add this line in your "risstndrd.sif". Do you put the line then under [unattended]? I'm also new to the slipstreaming thing. I have a default "XP_X86 SP2" cd (I 've used it for my RIS Image) and I would like to slipstream SP3 with my RIS-server.

But has anyone a foolproof howto for doing this?

Edited by Mercules

What I did.

Took a sp2 cd slipstreamed sp3 into it and burnt a ISO to a new SP3 cd.

Built a new flat image for the ris server with sp3.

copy your nic drivers you put in i386 and your $OEM$ folder over to the new image.

update your sif file with the changes you made in sp2.

Foolproof. Not as easy but foolproof.

• 3 weeks later...

What I did was the same as lawson23; took XP SP2 cd slipstreamed SP3, made an ISO, and burned it to a CD.

I have a W2k RIS server (all the updates and have been able to push XP SP2 images from) that I tried to manually add this XP SP3 Cd image to create an XP SP3 flat image. I am receiving the following error message that isn't very helpful:

"A file that is needed to setup the installation image on the server was not found. This may indicate that the image source is corrupt or that the source is not a valid Windows Professional installation source. Verify path points to a valid Windows Professional installation source."

I have checked the Cd and it boots fine into the splash screen for installing Windows XP. Since the error message does not say which file it needs, it is hard to troubleshoot this error.

any ideas?