Getting error 0x80073701

DarkMaster

Hello.

Fist, let me congratulate the team working on vLite. This is my first post here.

I have been successfully using nLite for some time now (for Windows 2003 installations).

I have recently switched my server system to 2008, so naturally, I have tried out vLite.

I have modified my installation to minimal as I am running Vmware virtualisation.

So after installation modification AND successful install of the system, everything works perfectly (and smoothly :) ).

But now after I tried to install feature, I bumped into a problem.

I am trying to install SNMP service as I need it. I go to the server management, add feature and choose proper selection.

I click install, the install goes trough, and after it finishes, is says that the feature was not installed due to error: "Attempt to install SNMP Service failed with error code 0x80073701. The referenced assembly could not be found."

Also, when I tried to click on print or save error log, I also get error "Failed to open the page. C:\Windows\Logs\ServerManagerInstallationLog.html"

So - I am at a loss. I was very careful with the selections for component removal and I know my way around dependencies in Windows.

Seems to me that I have installed perfectly working system that is unable to install additional components :)

Could someone please direct mo into solution?

I have tried to search Net for answers, also on Microsoft's forums - without any luck. I really wish to resolve this as I do not want reinstall complete system after so successful install.

Any help in appreciated in advance.

PS: I have also installed Windows Server 2008 in standard installation mode and the error was not there...

Only thing I can come up with now, is that you've accidently removed something important for SNMP to work. You should post your last settings.ini so someone can take a look at it :)

one thing you could do, is run windows update and download all of the hotfixes and updates. other than that I'm clueless

Well that would be fun if I have not deleted working directory afterwards.. :S

Though I have explicitly clicked in the beginning, where you define what components you wish to use, my option for SNMP...

So I guess that somewhere along the way I have re-clicked or over-clicked other options :/

Will go now to try if any other additional options can not install successfully and post back, if the SNMP is isolated trouble or not.

Later..

EDIT:

I can regretfully report, that from exception of Windows Internal Database, absolutely no feature is able to install...I think that I have missed a component that is not dependent in either way, but does holds certain importance during various installations (also could not install Intel Matrix Storage Manager) later on.

From what I can figure the only thing that could be that stubborn (and also selected) is Interaction Service Detection (since Application Experience was never checked).

Other than that, I really have no further idea on proceedings...

I am making new installation disks, will reinstall the whole thing and try again.

Will keep you all posted on this..

Edited by DarkMaster

Well that sounds bad. If the new vlited windows gives the same errors, post the ini file here so someone can take a look at it. Are you using vLite final or RC? I had some problems with the final version, something I removed broke Vista while the same settings worked fine with rc

I am using vLite Final (1.1.6). I can also report, that my own suggestion is not working - in fact i get the sudden reboot during installation, afterwards it reports that from some unknown reason setup can not proceed and I should run it again.

I am posting my latest ini file for review.

Will try some more combinations (of minimal type) and will post back my findings.

Last_Session.ini

• 6 months later...

Apologies for reviving an old thread but I just built my first windows server 2008 vlited install and came across the same error code as in this thread. In my case it was trying to install wlan service. As above when i tried other features the same error code 0x80073701 presented.

however i note that no further reference to this error is available via search save this thread. If so I hope someone can enlighten how to fix this item, and also point out how to avoid it during building the vlite install?

Thanks.

# as an HRESULT: Severity: FAILURE (1), FACILITY_WIN32 (0x7), Code 0x3701
# for hex 0x3701 / decimal 14081
ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING winerror.h
# The referenced assembly could not be found.
# 1 matches found for "0x80073701"

Sounds like something's missing in WinSXS that Windows or an app expects to be there. What exactly did you do to your install?

I've attached my last session.ini for checking.

I used vlite 1.2final only in modifying the iso. also based what i took out on the thread re: vista + vlite 1.2RC. I was pretty sure i was on the safe side, hence it was a pretty large install size at 3.5gb.

Thanks.

edit:

well i looked again and the only reference i see to sxs [component cache] was to Windows Update which I did remove. Should i include Windows upate the next time?

Last_Session.ini

Edited by romanian

Hello everyone,

same problem here. I just stripped down a few unnecessary components like speech recognition, multimedia stuff, unnecessary drivers.

Windows Updates was NOT stripped away, just needed a smaller install for Windows 2008 in order to install from a 1GB usb stick.

Just added a few Tweaks like disable UAC.

Sorry for my bad english,

.ini will be following in the evening

Thanks

Last_Session.ini

Edited by DasBrot

this is interesting.

I built me a good and working server version that I used for about 6 month (the longest i have ever used an install)

But now i wanted to make a new built with the newer Vlite. i have gotten this error every time! don't know whats changed since i don't have the old build left. but I cant imagine much since they where both about 800 MB ISO.

Had the same experience with both x64 and x86.

So I'm very curious to a solution to this:)

Regards

/Frewys

Read first, then ask.

Found my problem :-/

Removing components breaks the windows 2008 ability to add new features....

Not really.

Try this one. Should work. Going to try it on a X64 server OS now. got the ISO down to 796MB but its from an old Vlite build i made in feb or something. If you dont want to remove something just remove it from my ini file:)

Regards

/F

Last_Session.ini

Edited by frewys

Read first, then ask.

Found my problem :-/

Removing components breaks the windows 2008 ability to add new features....

Not really.

Try this one. Should work. Going to try it on a X64 server OS now. got the ISO down to 796MB but its from an old Vlite build i made in feb or something. If you dont want to remove something just remove it from my ini file:)

Regards

/F

OK! confirmed. I got it to work with a X64 machine as well. size little over 1GB ISO. And everything works like roles and features.

Please ad to the list and maybe we can make a even smaller built. I don't have time to try anymore right now :hello:

Regards

/F

nice work frewys, thanks for the hint.

i will try vLite v 1.1.1 on Windows 2008 to get your .ini even smaller. Will post my result in a few days,

thanks

DasBrot

Thank you for that! and good luck :thumbup

Also think its about time we got a descent list of working and non working things to remove. How hard could it be if we all chipped in. After all. Windows 2008 server workstation is the best thing since sliced bread :P

Regards

Frewys