Nexus gone

nitroshift

After months of promises to upload some pics of my pc, I`ve sold it yesterday :lol: And as I need a new rig, I was thinking about the following configuration. Please have a look and feel free to throw your $0.02...

CPU Intel Q9450

Mobo Gigabyte P35-DS3R (I've had it in my last rig, rock-solid mobo...)

RAM 4 x 2GB DDR2 / 1066MHz (not sure about the manufacturer, probably will be going for either Mushkin or Patriot)

HDD 4 x 250GB WD SATA2 / 16MB (neede for RAID10)

PCI-E nVIDIA 9800 GTX (most likely from BFG)

DVD-RW probably ASUS (or any other, I don't burn a lot of media)

PSU Spire 650W active PFC

Case Raidmax Ninja Black (the same as I had)

Total budget is ~1300 EUR and the above is fitting :)

Thanks punto, will have to look local dealers to see if this mobo is available in romania. If it is, I`ll get it :hello: What do you say for the rest of the parts? Any comments? ripken, may I have your opinion too, please?

CPU Intel Q9450

Good choice

Mobo Gigabyte P35-DS3R (I've had it in my last rig, rock-solid mobo...)

I personally go with ASUS, but go with what you know!

RAM 4 x 2GB DDR2 / 1066MHz (not sure about the manufacturer, probably will be going for either Mushkin or Patriot)

Manufacture wise, Id go for OCZ personally.

HDD 4 x 250GB WD SATA2 / 16MB (neede for RAID10)

WD drives, perfect :thumbup

PCI-E nVIDIA 9800 GTX (most likely from BFG)

You MAY want to wait for the 9900 card thats comming out, dunno when, but seen nformation online about them.

I'd go with XFX or EVGA. I've tried all BFG, XFX adn EVGA cards, BFG being number 3 in the ranks for me.

DVD-RW probably ASUS (or any other, I don't burn a lot of media)

Not NEC or Pioneer?

PSU Spire 650W active PFC

Go for a 750W, more juice for anything you do in the future.

Anyway, some may nto agree, but hey, thats my 2 cents.

Parts arriving today and tomorrow... As i needed part of the budget for buying a new bike (a brand spankin` new Yamaha R1 ;) ), I went for the following:

CPU: Intel Q6600 (it served me OK and has plenty of juice for what I'm doing, not to mention the price is half of the Q9450)

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35 DS3R (punto, the E version is not available in Romania yet...)

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 4 x 2GB 1066MHz DDR2

HDD: 4 x 250GB WD SATA2 / 16MB

PCI-E: nVIDIA 9800 GTX from EVGA (thank you maleko for your input on this :hello: )

DVD-RW: ASUS S-ATA black

Case: Raidmax Ninja Black

PSU: Spire 650W with active PFC (it`s ok for the parts above)

Cooler: Thermaltake CL-P0025

Thanks to all who threw their $0.02 :hello:

Edited by nitroshift

nice choices mate, I got crucial ballistixs in my system atm, very good stuff, AND you cannot fault Crucial Support.

I have the ballistixs that is known to go faulty (certain type, PC4000 DDR) I have had it go faulty on me 2 times now, but as its DDR, its stupid to buy anything else with the prices.

BUT crucial ALWAYS have sent me a replacement within 48hours, superb!

Anyway, pics when its built :D

Parts arriving today and tomorrow... As i needed part of the budget for buying a new bike (a brand spankin` new Yamaha R1 ;) )...
To bad they have only the older ones, keep us informed how the OC goes.

Talking about OCing, R1, you lucky * ... I love Yamaha, and there design is gorgeous!

Talking about OCing, R1, you lucky * ... I love Yamaha, and there design is gorgeous!

Tell me about it.... First series bike with power / weight ratio over 1 (184 BHP / 178 kg) ;)

Edited by nitroshift

Maybe not. Lemme find a couple links about eec and non eec ram.

(Ill take the other ram :P ) j/k

ECC - Error Correction ram. - I'd use this if I was doing sensitive work. What it means is if there is a parity in the RAM then it'll fix it. Servers use this kind of RAM same with scientists and a lot of others.

Non-ECC means it won't correct parity's on its own. You just have to flush the RAM (restart) or redo what you were doing to remove the parity.

Some say eec ram is slower, all say DON'T mix them!!!

Edited by puntoMX

Yeah ECC is not all that great, at least from what I've seen. And most desktop Mobos do not support it. Nice rig though I would have gone with a slightly more powerful PSU considering you have the 4 drives and a GTX video card...