My Findings

Legolash2o

Findings

Windows Update

With Windows Updat removed it still asks for "Use Recommended Settings", "Install important updates only and "Ask me later" after install, maybe should be "Ask me later" by default.

Suggestions

Simple Addon Support - On the "Integration" , "Addons" possibly have its own tab like "Hotfixes", "Drivers" and "Language pack" (hopefully Cab files) :)

Simple INF Example

1 = Windows\System32

[CopyFiles]

example.exe, 1

------------------------------

This would put example.exe in the Windows\System32 folder, overwriting the original file .Then work on more complicated stuff later.

Just Misc Cleanup

These are what i've found after selecting everything for removal

Windows\Media - 3 Media files are kept ~5MB

Windows\SySWOW64\8point1.wav ~1.2MB

Windows\System32\8point1.wav ~1.2MB

Windows\System32\wbem ~54MB

Windows\SysWOW64\wbem ~8MB

Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\

avmx64c.inf_e7eab71d

mdmcxhv6.inf_7cdbc735

mdmcxhv6.inf_75e17ee5

mdmcxpv6.inf_0e118bfe

mdmcxpv6.inf_b1a2333d

prnms001.inf_6943ddd7

prnms001.inf_f350a822

prnms002.inf_1d6c7442

prnms002.inf_8160e798

EDIT: This has been edited so some of the replies don't really match up, if that makes sense.

Edited by LegoLiam™

1. that is already done

2. well you could just select Unattended and choose Apply - Rebuild. That will not add any change, just autounattend.xml

3. nah :)

4. that one is in todo since vlite 0.5 alpha :) kinda boring but it is needed

TcpIp patch - dont want to bother with the hotfixes and other issues when they detect patched file (hash not correct)

Assistance\Client, is that part of Help support or what?

Network\Downloader is a part of BITS, removable in the next version.

mdmcx*** is part of Modem Support, already removable.

Some other mdm listed were added in the modems in the next one.

wdmaudio...needed for sound.

prn, one is fax support, other XPS Printer, part of .NET 3

servicing\Packages, needed

Windows\Help, again Help support.

These are what i've found after selecting everything for removal :)

1. I renamed boot.wim to install.wim and Bit locker component appeared. What you think? :)

2. I do normally just select components and not select anything to remove, click apply/rebuild but it doesn't rebuild boot.wim

3. Well i wouldn't say it was necessary anyway i just use imagex and cmd :)

4. Currently use imagex to add files too.

Edited by LegoLiam™

My suggestion:

Proper Component Cache (winsxs) removal without breaking hotfix compatibility.

That would really be great! :thumbup

There will be always a risk depending on what you remove

It wont happen is more like it. At some point, you can't just expect to remove and remove and think hey all functionality should still work.

Not unless we start resource hack whole vista as a entity, making it something totally different.

Windows update is MADE for the untouched windows version, not the vlited one.

The only way, and only way, this could be doable, if someone were crazy enough to start hosting an alternative Windows updated mirror, which supported such uniquely hacked vlited/nlited windows versions where certain if not all features originally in windows are removed.

I'm all for that, and it could be done, i honestly believe that, but i dont see it happening any time soon.

The other option would be if all windows updates were pre-tweaked, pre-patched to be consistent with a vlited install. Which more or less would be the same as herein original suggestion.

Now hopefully I have irritated and annoyed someone to be as crazy to actually start doing this, hosting a mirror which supports fully vlited vista, or nlite,preferrably both.

Hi, guys!

Here are my suggestions:

1) Well, I found that after integrating drivers vLite creates "vlitecmd.exe" and folders for each driver in "\Windows\Temp" directory. I think it would be great to use Microsoft's "peimg" tool instead.

2) Also I found "Last Session.ini" in "\Windows\Setup". Is it necessary?.. :}

3) Windows Sound Schemes (recently released for Ultimate Extras) can be installed on ANY edition of Vista. They are packed in Self-Extracting CAB and contain *.inf file to install. I'm trying to integrate it through the "Drivers" section (I haven't tested it yet). So, it would be great if there'll be option to integrate such addons.

And I have one question: where can I delete information about vLite from *.WIM? :D My friend wouldn't understand...

Added:

Stop, 1st suggestion. It would be great if it will be option to select how to integrate, because PEIMG integrates each *.inf into separate folder (for example, it's very bad for Realtek AC'97).

Edited by Sgt.Riggs

It will be good to add more tweak parameter like :

1. Visual effect (system properties>advanced>in performance tab) if possible, i never success to modify it correctly in registry

2. Possibility to import reg or bat file

3. Possibility to disable system restore (in case i keep the service for compatibilty)

4. Remove annoying start menu folder (Like Extra and Upgrades)

5. ....

In one topic i read someone saying separate .NET 2 and 3... as 2 is needed but don't really know any programs which use .NET 3. So i agree with the user about separating them.

Also, can you add a VMWare to the compatibility list which hides LSI Logic and Ethernet drivers. :)

Finally, when every component is removed... KMPlayer or whatever it is called still appears in the compatibility list.

Lego

In one topic i read someone saying separate .NET 2 and 3... as 2 is needed but don't really know any programs which use .NET 3. So i agree with the user about separating them.

I'd say that is a moot point as only .net 2.0 is installed by default. You can add .net 3.0 by "Add Features", but that easily breaks when removing components.

(You can still d/l and install the .net 3.0/3.5 runtime from MS, even without "Add Features").