Windows Server 2008 SP1 X64 & Vlite 1.1.6Final ..... results

benifin

Does the add feature things still works even when you have get rid of all that?

"Add features" working or not doesn't bother me, as there's nothing I would want to add back in... adding the junk back in would kinda undermine using Win2008 in the first place :blink:

I kinda agree, but there is actually something I want / need to add to make Server 2008 behave as a proper Workstation, things like .NET Framework as many of my applications requires FrameWork to run.

"Add features" working or not doesn't bother me, as there's nothing I would want to add back in... adding the junk back in would kinda undermine using Win2008 in the first place :blink:

I kinda agree, but there is actually something I want / need to add to make Server 2008 behave as a proper Workstation, things like .NET Framework as many of my applications requires FrameWork to run.

.net Framework 2.0 is already installed on Windows 2008 without having to add anything.

If you need .net 3.5, simply download it from MS and install it - worked fine for me, again without having to add anything.

Thus, you really don't need "Add features" for .net (regardless of version).

Edited by Petrarca

I loved using win2003 server as workstation, but you always had to keep up with patching system or tweaking so certain program didnt recognize it as a server version of windows. Especially Adobe programs didnt like server version. But it is fixable.

The problem is tho that i dont like to have to tweak every installer files just so it suits windows.

I can fix adobe cs3 so it will install on server 2003 f.ex but once you update it you have to do it again. Endless loop of problems you can avoid by not using server versions. Havent tried 2008 tho.

Instead of making win2008 a workstation, why not just remove programs from vista that are NOT default in win2008, so vista behaves like 2008?

Seems much more simple, and much more foolproof.

Instead of making win2008 a workstation, why not just remove programs from vista that are NOT default in win2008, so vista behaves like 2008?

You can't do that - as benifin already said, there are still some distinct differences between Vista SP1 and Win2008.

I know Server 08 SP1 and Vista X64 SP1 use the same code base, but there is something - I dont know what - that makes Server 08 SP1 so much snappier and quicker than Vista X64.

I've even done a test of a full-strip of Vista X64 using 1.1.6 Final and no matter what I do to it, it simply will just not run as smooth or quick as Server 08 SP1 stock / unstripped <= I'm guessing that maybe its because Vista has a stack of DRM "stuff" embedded into its code and Server 08 doesnt (?) - you know, 2 versions of the same code

lets just hope nuhi spends a bit more time on server 2008 and optimize vlite more for server by adding tweaks and more importantly make it clear (windows description) that removing certain components will break add features.

great job nuhi, keep it up :thumbup

lets just hope nuhi spends a bit more time on server 2008 and optimize vlite more for server by adding tweaks and more importantly make it clear (windows description) that removing certain components will break add features.

great job nuhi, keep it up :thumbup

Edit: Sorry for the double post

Edited by shahed26

I might do a version alike, probably with a bit more stuff (stuff that is regulary needed by other apps).

and then intelgrate wireless and framework 3, beacuse OCSEtup and add features will be completely broken. Now that'll be sweet.

I guess I removed too much...Any idea which one of these items made this break? I think it must be one of these:

** Actually these are 2 separate errors. oobe occurs on bootup and the other opening comp mgmgt.

Multimedia Class Scheduler

Windows Update

.NET Framework

Component Cache (winsxs)

Microsoft HTML engine

Server2k8.jpg

; vLite preset file
;
;#Environment:
; vLite v1.1.6
; Framework 2.0.50727.1434
; Microsoft Windows NT 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 64-bit
;
;#Target:
; Windows Longhorn SERVERSTANDARD 64-bit Service Pack 1
; Version 6.0.6001.18000 English (United States)
; vLited with v1.1.6 (5/13/2008 9:33:20 PM)
;
[Compatibility]

[CustomHide]

[Components]
;# Hardware Support #
Infrared Support
Windows Mobile Device Center
;# Network #
Internet Explorer
Network Explorer
;# Services #
Windows Update
;# System #
.NET Framework
Component Cache (winsxs)
Disk Defragmenter
Microsoft HTML engine

[Options]
DEP (Data Execution Prevention) = Disabled (AlwaysOff)
User Account Control (UAC) = Enabled
AntiSpyware Realtime Protection = Default
AutoPlay = Enabled
Paging Executive = Disabled
Power scheme = High performance
Power button = Shutdown
Sleep button = Do nothing
Hibernation = Default
Control Panel - Classic View = Enabled
Show hidden files and folders = Yes
Show protected operating system files = Yes
Show extensions for known file types = Yes
IE Phishing Filter = Disabled
IE Phishing Verification Ballon Tips = Disabled

[Protection]

[Drivers]

[Unattended]
AcceptEULA
SkipNewUser
SkipAutoActivation

[Hotfixes]

[LanguagePacks]

I loved using win2003 server as workstation, but you always had to keep up with patching system or tweaking so certain program didnt recognize it as a server version of windows. Especially Adobe programs didnt like server version. But it is fixable.

The problem is tho that i dont like to have to tweak every installer files just so it suits windows.

I can fix adobe cs3 so it will install on server 2003 f.ex but once you update it you have to do it again. Endless loop of problems you can avoid by not using server versions. Havent tried 2008 tho.

The reson why you want too use windows server as a workstation in the first place, is because it's faster, more secure and reliable. That is a fact. People ask why it's faster and more reliable then windows xp/vista? The reason is because it's cost 5-10 times more than vista/xp and that's a must for big coorporations/firms.

There are plenty of linux distros for server, that's why windows have much more competitors, equal to xp/vista where there are less competitors. That's why MS is focusing alot more in making server 2008 the best/perfect OS made by them. Look at the updates for server 2003, it has alot less updates then xp. xp have sp 3. server 2003 has sp2.

So removing stuff form vista or adding still will NEVER get vista to be as fast as server 2008. ut it can be hard to install certain programs on server 2008 (I guess) because most software firms charge alot more for the same software if it's for server.

It depends on what you are doing on your PC. If the programs work flawless stay with server, if not stay with vista or xp.

Edited by franner

I guess I removed too much...Any idea which one of these items made this break? I think it must be one of these:

** Actually these are 2 separate errors. oobe occurs on bootup and the other opening comp mgmgt.

Windows Update

.NET Framework

Component Cache (winsxs)

Microsoft HTML engine

I've done a very stripped down Win2008 as well now, and Server Manager still works fine B)

Of those listed by you, I kept only .net (because I need it) and Html engine.

I doubt removing .net causes this, so it's probably the lacking Html engine.

However, you can still compare yours to my config and see if there's any more differences:

[Compatibility]
Halo 2
KMPlayer

[CustomHide]

[Components]
;# Accessories #
Accessibility
Paint
Speech Support
;# Drivers #
Display adapters-Ati
Display adapters-Intel
Display adapters-nVidia
Diva Server
Ethernet network adapters
Modems
Printers-Apollo
Printers-Brother
Printers-Canon
Printers-Citizen
Printers-Dell
Printers-Diconix
Printers-Epson
Printers-Fuji Xerox
Printers-Fujitsu
Printers-Gestetner
Printers-HP
Printers-IBM
Printers-Infotec
Printers-Konica
Printers-Konica Minolta
Printers-Kyocera Mita
Printers-Lanier
Printers-Lexmark
Printers-Minolta
Printers-Minolta-QMS
Printers-NEC
Printers-NRG
Printers-Oce
Printers-Oki
Printers-Okidata
Printers-Olivetti
Printers-Panasonic
Printers-QMS
Printers-Ricoh
Printers-Samsung
Printers-Savin
Printers-Seikosha
Printers-Sharp
Printers-Sony
Printers-Star
Printers-Tally
Printers-Tektronix
Printers-Wipro ePeripherals
Printers-Xerox
QLogic Fibre Channel Adapter
Sound controllers
TV Tuners-ADS Technologies
TV Tuners-ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
TV Tuners-AVerMedia Technologies, Inc.
TV Tuners-Compro Technology Inc.
TV Tuners-Conexant Systems, Inc.
TV Tuners-Creatix
TV Tuners-Hauppauge
TV Tuners-KNC ONE GmbH
TV Tuners-KWorld
TV Tuners-Lumanate, Inc.
TV Tuners-Philips Semiconductors
TV Tuners-Pinnacle Systems
TV Tuners-TerraTec Electronic GmbH
TV Tuners-VidzMedia Pte Ltd.
TV Tuners-ViXS Systems Inc.
;# Hardware Support #
Floppy Disk Support
Internet Small Computer System Interface (iSCSI)
Modem Support
Windows Mobile Device Center
;# Languages #
Arabic
Brazillian
Bulgarian
Croatian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
Estonian
Finnish
Hebrew
Hungarian
Korean
Latvian
Lithuanian
Norwegian
Polish
Portuguese
Romanian
Serbian
Simplified Chinese
Slovak
Slovenian
Spanish
Swedish
Thai
Traditional Chinese
Turkish
Ukrainian
;# Multimedia #
Music and Video samples
Sample Pictures
Shell event sounds
Wallpapers
Windows Aero Theme
;# Network #
File and printer sharing (Server)
Internet Explorer
Internet Information Services (IIS)
Network and Sharing Center
Network Explorer
Remote Desktop and Assistance
Remote Desktop Client
Windows Firewall
Windows Mail
;# Services #
Computer Browser
Desktop Window Manager
Distributed Transaction Coordinator (DTC)
Error Reporting
Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
IPsec Policy Agent
Offline Files
Remote Registry
SuperFetch
TCP/IP NetBios Helper
TPM Base Services
Universal Plug and Play (UPNP)
Windows Remote Management
Windows Time
Windows Update
;# System #
Component Cache (winsxs)
Disk Defragmenter
Disk Quota
Guided Help
Help
IMAPIv2 Burning Support
Jet Database Engine
Malicious Software Removal Tool
Manual Install (Setup.exe)
MDAC
Microsoft Agent
Natural Language
Performance Counters
Reliability and Performance Monitor
Run a legacy CPL elevated
User Account Control (UAC)
Windows Easy Transfer
Zip Folder

[Options]
DEP (Data Execution Prevention) = Enabled only for OS components (Optin)
User Account Control (UAC) = Disabled
AntiSpyware Realtime Protection = Default
AutoPlay = Disabled
Paging Executive = Disabled
Power scheme = Balanced
Power button = Shutdown
Sleep button = Do nothing
Hibernation = Off
Control Panel - Classic View = Enabled
Show hidden files and folders = Yes
Show protected operating system files = Yes
Show extensions for known file types = Yes
IE Phishing Filter = Default
IE Phishing Verification Ballon Tips = Default

[Protection]

[Drivers]

[Unattended]
SpecRegional
AcceptEULA
SkipAutoActivation
NetworkLoc = 1
ProtectPC = 3

[Hotfixes]
E:\Windows2008\updates\Windows6.0-KB941693-x64-ita.msu
E:\Windows2008\updates\Windows6.0-KB947562-x64-ita.msu
E:\Windows2008\updates\Windows6.0-KB947821-v2-x64-ita.msu
E:\Windows2008\updates\Windows6.0-KB948590-x64-ita.msu
E:\Windows2008\updates\Windows6.0-KB948881-x64-ita.msu
E:\Windows2008\updates\Windows6.0-KB949189-x64-ita.msu
E:\Windows2008\updates\Windows6.0-KB949219-x64-ita.msu
E:\Windows2008\updates\Windows6.0-KB950636-x64-ita.msu
E:\Windows2008\updates\Windows6.0-KB950917-v2-x64-ita.msu
E:\Windows2008\updates\Winhlp32-Windows6.0-KB917607-x64-ita.msu

[LanguagePacks]

The reson why you want too use windows server as a workstation in the first place, is because it's faster, more secure and reliable. That is a fact. People ask why it's faster and more reliable then windows xp/vista? The reason is because it's cost 5-10 times more than vista/xp and that's a must for big coorporations/firms.

There are plenty of linux distros for server, that's why windows have much more competitors, equal to xp/vista where there are less competitors. That's why MS is focusing alot more in making server 2008 the best/perfect OS made by them. Look at the updates for server 2003, it has alot less updates then xp. xp have sp 3. server 2003 has sp2.

So removing stuff form vista or adding still will NEVER get vista to be as fast as server 2008. ut it can be hard to install certain programs on server 2008 (I guess) because most software firms charge alot more for the same software if it's for server.

It depends on what you are doing on your PC. If the programs work flawless stay with server, if not stay with vista or xp.

Jesus, you are more off topic then i am, lol! Props!

I will bet you anything i can make vista perform just as well as server 2008.

Also you obviously dont know what you talk about on the sp's as you don't know the backgrounds on the service pack versions and take into comparison when what was released. That's just plain silly and kinda shows your either ignorant or perphaps arrogant =(