System Information

Wordpad

Multimedia Class Scheduler

Microsoft HTML Engine

Everything else stripped out

- 588meg ISO

- 1.3gig installed size on HDD [ excluding Swap file ]

- 290meg RAM Footprint [after installing all video and audio drivers]

Runs super quick and super snappy and super smooth.

I know Server 08 SP1 and Vista X64 SP1 use the same code base, but there is something - I dont know what - that makes Server 08 SP1 so much snappier and quicker than Vista X64.

I've even done a test of a full-strip of Vista X64 using 1.1.6 Final and no matter what I do to it, it simply will just not run as smooth or quick as Server 08 SP1 stock / unstripped <= I'm guessing that maybe its because Vista has a stack of DRM "stuff" embedded into its code and Server 08 doesnt (?) - you know, 2 versions of the same code

Quite frankly, this is utterly amazing given it is an X64 o/s.

Nuhi - you are a genius.

Ben

Edited by benifin

Yep ..... given Vlite is at 1.1.6 and Nlite is at 1.4.5 ..... I'd imagine [ and am hoping ] that once Vlite is as mature and "component-removal-rich" as Nlite, we could well be looking at Server 2008 SP1 X64 .iso's that are ~250meg <-> ~350meg in size with installed HDD useage of ~500meg <-> ~700meg with resulting RAM footprints in the ~120meg <-> ~170meg range.

Still, even if no further updates issued, who would have imagined an X64 o/s as lean and small as this.

Nuhi is a seriously amazing and talented person !!!!

Ben

Edited by benifin

Why on earth have you kept the multimedia class scheduler service if i dare ask?

Remove it and remove the dependency from windows audio inside Vista, registry.

Nuhi should clear the red of this one and instead add this 'tweak' to vlite so everyone can enjoy vista without it.

It's absolutely NOT essential at all.

edit:

About the vista and server 2008, and server 2008 seems snappier i can totally understand.

It's the same thing, i guess (since i havent tried server 2008), with xp and server 2003.

Once upon a time i benchmarked server 2003 and windows xp, both 64bit versions, with performance test 5.0 i think it was,.

Guess what? Server 2003 was 50% faster on 2d graphics. Even with exact same setup, classic theme, all display stuff removed/deactivated.

edit: if u are ever going to play any game, which wasnt made for vista, you will need the Application Experience service.

Edited by TranceEnergy

benifin, thanks. Ease up on the red, you are making me blush :)

TranceEnergy, try skipping in video files, without the Media Scheduler you will get a tiny audible tick or a pop, while it is completely silent when Media Scheduler is in place.

I must say I prefer XP hardware access than this priority hotfix.

does this all mean that vlite 1.16 final works perfectly with server 2008??

vlite always worked well with server, it just depends on what you use on server on more importantly what components you remove. (removing an important component could BREAK your server installation)

using server 2008 x64 vlited as workstation, and its so stable and extremely responsive and fast compare to vista, even xp.

Edited by shahed26

TranceEnergy, try skipping in video files, without the Media Scheduler you will get a tiny audible tick or a pop, while it is completely silent when Media Scheduler is in place.

I must say I prefer XP hardware access than this priority hotfix.

Well I dont get any audible ticks or weird noise at all without it. Google this and you will find people reporting that their systems work much better with the service disabled. So I thought, then why not remove it? So i did, obviously, and voila! Instant Profit!

Harddisk copies very fast, was like 50mb+, and now is like 70/80mb+ when multitasking.

I have dualcore+ 8gb ram, and reasonably fast system. However, i am a totally nut at tweaking system for maximum performance in terms of responsiveness,lowest latency possible, and while checking with DCP LAtency checker it reported a staggering low 8 us latency. I couldnt believe my eyes but hey, im no programmer. But i do know a thing or two about tweaking.

In comparions i had 300 us+ after boot, no programs on xp x64 ( the latest xp x64sp2 updates has made it really unstable tho).

Vista is actually faster then xp, by a good margin! After tweaks but still. Profit!

Well I dont get any audible ticks or weird noise at all without it. Google this and you will find people reporting that their systems work much better with the service disabled. So I thought, then why not remove it? So i did, obviously, and voila! Instant Profit!

I like Instant Profit, so I'll have to try it out myself B)

I like Instant Profit, so I'll have to try it out myself B)

same here, will remove it for instant profit! lol. only if i dont get no audio clicks or pops, but if i do then will let you know

Seems that server 2008 is a great os, would be nice if nuhi change his mind and worked with it. especially when vista has too many issues still not resolved.

Are you still able to turn aero on?

Edited by anarkhy

Seems that server 2008 is a great os, would be nice if nuhi change his mind and worked with it. especially when vista has too many issues still not resolved.

yes i agree, vista sp1 still has many issues and not reliable at all, and server is very fast and reliable compare to vista even games run faster on server. you can turn aero on by installing desktop experience from server manager and then activate theme service

Does the add feature things still works even when you have get rid of all that?

Is v1.1.6 Final better optimized for Server 2008?

Because the last time I tried to tweak my Server 2008 installation (and I didn't really remove that much) I broke the entire Add Feature thing, it didn't work at all..

I just tried to disable the Media Scheduler in my current Win2008 install, and it wanted to shutdown the Audio service as well when I tried - which obviously is not wanted :blink:

Any way to stop the Media Scheduler and keep the Audio service running?

Yes, fully agree there. Other than Vista, Win2008 actually seems usable.

Personally, I don't care for this useless Aero garbage which just eats resources aplenty for nothing.

I'm still mad at MS for replacing XP theming with this worthless Aero junk :angry:

If I want transparency, I'll use Glass2k - which is far better than Aero, as it can make the whole window transparent, not only the titlebar.

"Add features" working or not doesn't bother me, as there's nothing I would want to add back in... adding the junk back in would kinda undermine using Win2008 in the first place :blink:

Is v1.1.6 Final better optimized for Server 2008?

Because the last time I tried to tweak my Server 2008 installation (and I didn't really remove that much) I broke the entire Add Feature thing, it didn't work at all..

vlite 1.6 final is not specially optimized for server 2008, but it works great (THANKS TO GENIUS NUHI). removing components will break add features. i dont recommend removing components as server is not filled up with bloatware like vista and all components are usefull for server use, even if you want it as just workstation removing will break add features.

am sure nuhi will make this more clearer on "description window" in next version of vlite.