light Win XP & Direct x

Gilou

Hello everybody,

I have two questions, I hope you'll be able to help me :

1) I would like to have a light windows XP, as to the process which is required (not the size) so that it would require less ram and CPU but I don't know if what I 've removed so far has an effect on this. What do I have to remove to achive the goal ?

2) How to integrate direct X ? I apologize for the question, I am sure the question was already asked a million times but the search engine does not allow search bellow 4 letters so "direct x" does not fit.

Thanks and good night

Gilou

Thanks for the tips

Does anyone know where I can have a clear description of the different services enumerated in Nlite so that I can decide what to disable and what to let ?

Thanks

Gilou

I dont know about you guys but i think my nearly-done-no-it-cant-be-true xp 64 sp2 all updates at 140mb is quite good.

I found that if i do some changes on xp 64 before i integrate servicepack+updates, the resulting image is even smaller.

I also run the sfc disabled patch several times, which helps clean up 5-20mb each turn.

However i firmly believe the way to have a truly light windows is to get portable software. Which suits me just fine anyway.

Also to really get the xp install really light, you have to get your hands dirty and start figuring out what files you can add to remove list in nlite.

If i can break under 100MB on this xp x64 install, then i will be satisfied, maybe for a month...

Also to really get the xp install really light, you have to get your hands dirty and start figuring out what files you can add to remove list in nlite.
I totally agree with you. That's why I search a way to find out what's the use of service X... The website provided is good and I think it's a good start but it does not say what is what.

Besides, anyone can tell me what "Its use is not for a computer with analog modems or some direct DSL/cable connections" means ? Does it refer to a connection from a ADSL modem or a connection from a "box" connected to the internet or connections like in campus where you just plug the cable in ?

Thanks