"installer"'s Opinions

Lqdwax

I am using inno setup installer/compiler to do my basic installation packaging. I am just really looking to see what everyone is using. I have tried auto it but i dont really care for it. any opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Talented users use what suits their needs. I do the same.

+1 :thumbup - that statement is exactly what I thought when I 1st read this thread.

shark

+1

Find your needs, then find the one that covers them. I prefer Inno over NSIS.

I always use Caphyon Advanced Installer for my custom MSI installers.

MSI is as usual from M$ - an awful thing... Huge and lefts a lot unneeded files...

NSIS is the best, Inno good too for people who likes GUI for installer preparation...

Well, you are somehow misinformed, because MSI is the best solution to deploy applications in windows environments.

And you can choose among different authoring applications.

NSIS and Inno lack something really useful to get rid of left over files, example, if you create a file inside the program folder (which almost every program does) they left these files there. Same with registry entries. You have to take care of this writing code.

In MSI scripts (regardless of the authoring program you are using) you have many options to cover this issues. In Advanced Installer i only have to right click a registry entry, select properties and thick the chackbox "delete at uninstall" if i want a whole branch removed, no matter that the program or the user created or modified entries there. Just to give an example.

I have more than 30 installer made this way and no one left over files or registry entries. The file sizes are comparable with other installers.

Also, i had to use Inno or NSIS sometimes. I preferred Inno. However, as MHz posted, talented users use whatever they see fit.

You can do everything with NSIS too. Just try to study. I have more than 30 installations made in it. Don't know about Inno, but don't like it.

What about files that MSI lefts...I mean not those application files I mean MSI files itself...they are everywhere...I hate that unnecessary chaos...

Microsoft always create a stupid soft...which left a lot behind (and like norton, symantec, adobe etc.) I'm programmer and I know - all this is a garbage.

There is no need to bash anothers preference or area of expertise.

Bottomline - we use what we are comfortable with.

I like inno, its is clean and efficient and as others pointed out, quite easy to understand and use.

For someone new to all this, I recommend inno.

I also like MSI because I am comfortable with it and its extremely configurable. (not that inno isnt as configurable)

shark

Microsoft always create a stupid soft...which left a lot behind (and like norton, symantec, adobe etc.) I'm programmer and I know - all this is a garbage.

No one should ever pretend to "know" about something. MSI has nothing to do with what people make with it. Same for other installer systems.

Let's focus on the original post and provide some answers:

For starters, definitively Inno is a great option, it is free and there are tools sush as ISTool that complement it well.

Lqdwax, if you feel that you can't accomplish something with Inno, try NSIS and MSI installers as well, then you will have knowledge about them all and you will be able to stick with the one that fitted you best for what you are doing.